Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

June 15th, 2020 06:00

Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program

Hi guys,

I've got an Optiplex 980 that's out of warranty. I've had the BIOS message pop-up on system boot: 'Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program. Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program. The system management hardware requires a reset. System setup configuration and the date/time requires attention after the reset.

I assumed that this would be the CMOS battery dying as the system is now several years old. I bought a replacement battery and inserted it, double-checking it's fitted snugly into the board.

However, I'm still getting the same message each time I boot. I'm able to re-sync the system clock once the OS has booted and it connects to the internet to get the time.

I'm running BIOS version A18, which shows as the most recent version in Dell Support.

I also tried loading all default options in the BIOS setup, but this didn't have any effect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

McDitch

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2020 02:00

Cmos batteries die whether they are used or not.

Unless you get a brand new one thats guaranteed to sit on the shelf for 10 years its not likely to be good.

CMOS is not designed to be off for months or years.  Its only for short term down time of a few hours.

The rest of the time the system runs from 5V standby power while plugged in.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006488/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html#

A coin-cell battery (CR2032) powers the real-time clock and CMOS memory. When the computer is not plugged into a wall socket, the battery has an estimated life of three years. When the computer is plugged in, the standby current from the power supply extends the life of the battery. The clock is accurate to plus or minus 13 minutes/year at 25 degrees C with 3.3 VSB applied.

When the voltage drops below a certain level, the BIOS Setup program settings stored in CMOS RAM (such as, the date and time) might not be accurate. If this event occurs, replace the battery with an equivalent one.

I prefer Duracell DL2032 batteries that have a date on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Duracell-DL2032-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B016KQYM8I

Video on BIOS:

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 15th, 2020 07:00

That could mean a motherboard failure on the 10 yr old computer. The default bios setting is usually not correct especially after 10 years. Go through the bios again to see what is wrong and change it. It could be pointing to hardware or procedures that no longer exists.

What operating system?

2 Posts

June 15th, 2020 07:00

Hi,

OS is Windows 10 Enterprise.

I hadn't made any other changes to BIOS or hardware prior to the issue arising. I've checked BIOS options and there's nothing there that looks wrong to me, happy to be steered to some likely candidates though.

Thanks for your help.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 02:00

Hello McDitch,

I am facing the same issue since 2 days ago. My machine is a Inspiron 3470, purchased in 2019 January.

Just wonder if you have resolved your problem ?

2 Posts

October 4th, 2020 02:00

I have resolved my similar issue.

The root-cause is the CMOS battery. After I replace a new battery, and after manually reboot machine twice then all get back to normal.

One big question remains: how come the CMOS battery can die off in less than 2 years after purchase?

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 4th, 2020 14:00

"One big question remains: how come the CMOS battery can die off in less than 2 years after purchase?"

I prefer Duracell or Energizer.  I get better deals on Duracell on Amazon than in the store.  Sony only lasted me 2 years.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2022 23:00

This was the best answer the important bit in my case was restarting the PC 2 times manually after replacing the battery!

Thanks.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2023 22:00

I also have the same problem with my DeskTop Dell Inspiron 530S, after switching on Computer 2 months. A new Battery Cell was replaced but even then I have to change the Date and Time every time when I switch on the Computer. Local Service man says, there might be problem with mother board. Is it True ? I had checked all the BIOS and CMOS set  up as per its original. Please help

5 Posts

January 15th, 2023 07:00

Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program

Well this is strange, I just switched my computer on. It has always been plugged into wall socket. I haven't used it for about a week. I had check clock settings message. My dell is less than 3 years old. Ive also had keyboard problems (i posted this issue in forums) since the bios 1.23 update in December (not saying it is a bios issue tho) . I have updated to bios 1.24. This is really strange. Anybody else with this problem suddenly? 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 15th, 2023 11:00

Test that 3v CMOS battery and replace if low.  I don't know that Dell uses 5-year OEM batteries.

Also:  How to Perform a BIOS or CMOS Reset and Clear the NVRAM on Dell Computers 

5 Posts

January 17th, 2023 10:00

thanks for advice. i replaced the battery. i tested the battery with a multimeter and it was 0.5 volts, the new one was 3.3.   Still have the keyboard /usb issue where keyboard not being detected on and off - using windows 11 bios 1.24. 

5 Posts

January 17th, 2023 11:00

its wired. my microsoft 600 keyboard does not work at all but does in a raspberyy pi,  the spare doesn't work work when booting up sometimes. so i plug it into another usb socket and fine again!  Really strange, ive looked on the internet , tried device manager drivers. nothing seems to work.  

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 17th, 2023 11:00

Is your keyboard wireless or wired?  Try wired if wireless.

If wireless, how new is the keyboard and dongle?  Makes me wonder if the dongle is going bad.  New batteries in the keyboard?

I had a BT USB dongle start going bad, so I don't know how long dongles last.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 17th, 2023 12:00

I'm almost out of ideas except for one thing - Do you use USB 2.0 for the keyboard and not 3.0?

September 23rd, 2023 10:21

@shuffle55​ Yes, I've had the same issue. Suddenly after being on holiday for a week with the wall socket unplugged, I'm getting this. It was always plugged in when not in use previously but hardly ever switched on at the socket, so I don't really see the difference. It always gets to Windows on the second attempt, which is even more confusing (albeit a relief!).

(edited)

No Events found!