1 Message

November 27th, 2019 11:00

Upgrading a Dell Ooptiplex 7010

Thinking of buying an OptiPlex and adding these parts:

New CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
GPU: AMD RX 580 
Extra RAM: ATech 3x4gb DDR3

November 27th, 2019 13:00

It seems bit odd buying such an old PC and then investing even more, but I guess you did the math and you can get those at reasonable price.

CPU: The i5 3570 is pretty good option. That said, you may want to look at the Xeon E3 (v2) series as well. Many have lower TDP thanks to missing HD Graphics GPUs and the price of used ones is competitive with their Core counterparts. Xeon was not an official option with 7010, but IIRC the nice engineers at Dell did not actively block them.

GPU: If you want to upgrade to (former) high-end graphics card like the RX 580, you need to upgrade the PSU as well. Meanwhile something like the GTX 1650 may do fine even with the existing PSU.

RAM: Not familiar with the brand, but pretty much anything should do as long as it meets the basics (non-ECC, non-registered). If you plan to do RAM intensive stuff, maybe consider something like 1x4GB + 2x8GB. That way you end up with 24GB dual channel.

edit: Considering the RX 580, I am assuming the 7010 is the MT. Also, SSD is a must have.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 27th, 2019 14:00

Optiplex models come in 4 diff models- Desktop, MT, SFF, Ultra SFF None of them is good for upgrading  especially the SFF models. The USFF doesn't even have a slot for a gpu. If you want a desktop for gaming buy an Inspiron or XPS or better. Optiplex models are intended for business use and are a poor choice for gaming. The 7010 came out in 2012. If it was used in a business setting for 7+ years it is probably worn out.

The psu on all models is very small--less than 300w. The psu is proprietary and difficult to change. See the specs in the setup manual--

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf 

If you add or replace memory it has to be the same specs as the memory already installed. See Crucial for ram that will work. 

478 Posts

November 27th, 2019 16:00

@Mary G 

He did say he was the poorest man in the world. And I must be second poorest, but I only found a 790, whereas he found a 7010.

You see maam, we hobos find these old junked dell computers in trash dumps, then we hose all the garbage out, put a few dollars in them, and try to use them.

Apparently, folks with dells always have to buy the latest models about every 6 months, but we don't have a lot of money, so we just make do.

Like a half smoked cigar butt or half eaten hamburger, sometimes it works, sometimes not

My friend Freddy the freeloader once found a dell optiplex that was only 6 months old, but he was scavenging in a very rich neighborhood (maybe yours?). He also picked up an iPhone #10, and an abandoned mercedes benz that just needed a new battery and floor mat.

Well Mary, I'm off now to look for a (sorta) new pair of shoes. The duct tape on mine has finally given out.  I gotta be quick because the AT&SF Freight train leaves soon. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

November 29th, 2019 19:00

Hi @poorest man in the world,

I take it you want to buy the MT model of the 7010?

s-l300.jpg

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

November 29th, 2019 19:00

I don't know if Mary G reads further replies or chooses to ignore, but twice I've given 3-4 YouTube references as to Optiplex's being upgraded and for gaming from the older 3-digit models to current.  I simply used "Optiplex gaming rig" for a search term.

Models that take a GT 1030 have some power for gaming.  Optiplex's aren't all out gaming machines, but many are upgradeable.

Instead of linking the same videos again (I'm disappointed if some of my favorites weren't viewed), here's a link to a list of them.

478 Posts

November 29th, 2019 20:00

I don't play any games, but I suspect these old dells could be used. At least the tower versions, since a better power supply is usually needed. Maybe not top of the line for serious game addicts, but good enough for lots of people.

From the service number, I notice my machine originally came with AMD RADEON HD 6350

The refurb guys must have sold it separately, and it was probably a pokey old gpu anyway, but it's an example of one that apparently worked even with the small power supplies dell uses. Most folks here like the gt 1030, so it's probably the best choice unless you happen to have a well stocked junk box

I also concur OP should get a tower version if he's going to use these old computers. Especially for game playing. Only a watchmaker would enjoy working on some of the wee tiny computers.

And check out what cpu is already in it. I get the impression that the cpu isn't super important for games, mostly the GPU. But I know little about games, so could be wrong.

For memory, my even older i5 seems happy with anything I throw in it, even 8 GB modules. One of them is indeed an Adata branded module.

2.5K Posts

November 30th, 2019 04:00

BAHHHHH 17,000 persons are gaming that 7010. facts! speak loud no?.

there is nothing wrong doing what you are doing but no GAME stated, not one,  some games need powerful 3d cards. do you have cash for those? no purse stated (OP)

the 9020 a far better PC needs only this to run my 700watt PSU.

7010 needs no such device below.  but is not to be feared, to get Gen4 CPU, and newer mobo. here is mine below

psu-adapter.jpg

2.5K Posts

why go that old,  why not buy a haswell base PC  used,  far far better .gen4 CPU, should be your lower limit.!!

7010 MT are you buying MT PCs, you should for dependability, max. not stated by you yet.

get 3020MT or 9090 MT (year 2013)  IS first year to consider , the haswell year up., 32GB ram 2x more.

that is MY OPINION.

GO GEN4,(or up)

2.5K Posts

why go less than this.  IDK but gee....

just be sure it has RAM and CPU inside, and even no HDD is best, and put in SSD, 128GB, $20 x300s ? cheap

buy with NO DOA guaranteed, do not buy with stripped mobo. and i5 up onboard.

dells do last,  nice light alum. case , lower ship cost, major.

change to new coin cell day 1. RTC coin, most these guys always ship with dead COIN (died packed in stock)

mostly the risk is all shipping damage,  the best sellers to expanded foam packing (and amazing quality)

2.5K Posts

nice post don,,  and all true,

the POSTER failed (it's ok, no really) many ways, let me show how to do this right.

Is this a dumpser diving budget? $0 usd? or $100 burning hold in pocket,

• poorest man in the world ($1 day is that, for billions www)  post your PURSE what is your BUDGET.?
  • then what GAME do you want to play, none stated, (Solitaire(MS) or dukenukem 1984 or , AAA+ $60 gamess) please name one game so we can be on the same page,ok?
  • IS 3-0FPS ok,  frames per second ok?  or do you game online?> not stated. and matters.
  • PCs are engines, and what you do with it matters, intent, and  gaming means zero me. see ? zip.
  • your shopping and not upgrading yet so, any PC is at hand world wide to buy ,10,000 models.  yah
  • does poor mean shipping costs are off the table.,if yes what country do you reside /? (local pick us is cheaper)
  • are you willing to  lower 3D textures and more to let fast 3D hogging, games run kinda ok on $30GPU card?
  • Do you run w10 -64bit (means have license ready)?
  • If in USA, did you go to Goodwill(tm) stores, yet and look first? or look on CRAIGS?  wow can be good.
  • or consider a gaming console,  look ma, no PC.

2.5K Posts

November 30th, 2019 05:00

on topic used PCs not bought YET. (with dreams of AAA+ gaming 3D thoughts on the cheap? an oxymoron?)

what dells to avoid, lots, really(my personal hit list)

1: all BTX dells.  BTX makes CPU heat sink fans near impossible to upgrade this, to higher wattage rated CPU.

if the CPU sits crosswise to mobo PCB square, RUN ! do not buy BTX or be sad.   (dell 380 is this)

if confused?, pretend to buy the mobo on ebay, and if CPU  socket is crosswise, do not buy this PC.

2: all non MT's, avoid USFF, SFF, DT and mirco's and worse AIO,  near impossible upgrades (3D)

MT = mini tower, the big'n

3: the larger thin cases can use 79mm low profile  3D cards  if the x16 slot is not missing, but the cards are slow.

low cards = slow cards (they lack space for high powered, 3D and largeheat sinks, and fans huge. no RTX2070  not yet)

ATX power jacks not present or microized 24p, if this scares you (not me)  avoid.

that is about it on what to avoid IMO, this is only my opinion, some folks do not stop at anything, tinsnips and drills in hand .

(I just converted  case to  mobo base mounts, for CPU below mobo) so cut away I did, fast cards.

2.5K Posts

November 30th, 2019 05:00

rx580 is $100 card used,  that is not poor, that be 100days of food for 1billion people on earth.

best is not say poor, tell PURSE for the project, that dictates all. the cash in hand, nothing else starting with empty desk. and what game is run, if not owned, tell if game cost is part of PURSE, OMG,  some are $60 each.

or ask wife, if married, what is in the Purse, for toys.  (do tell, that)

November 30th, 2019 10:00

@savvy2Lots of posts.

I dont remember huge performance increase between Ivy Bridge and Haswell in most scenarios. The 7010 MT and DT support more than 16GB, AFAIK the 3570 supports up to 32GB - same as its successor the 4670.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

November 30th, 2019 11:00

Hi again @poorest man in the world,

Many 7010's come with I5's and I7's.  Whether you shop eBay, Amazon, Walmart.com, newegg, or etc., just include the CPU you want in your search term.

Optiplex 7010 Tech Guide 

1 Message

November 30th, 2019 19:00

I’m running a 7010 with the i7, 32 Gb RAM (upgrade the firmware and it works fine), 1Tb SSD, and a 750 ti.

I’m not a hardcore gamer, but I do play Far Cry 5 and GTAV and they run just fine.

I’m looking to upgrade to as much (old) GPU as I can.  What’s a good fit and what PSU do I need to run it?  I hear people run the 1050 GPU without a PS upgrade?  I don’t mind upgrading the PSU for a little more graphics performance.

No Events found!