Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2019 05:00

Where can I get my Windows 8.1 Product Key?

I have an OptiPlex 3020 that had Windows 7 Professional installed on it and was licensed for Windows 8.1.  I wanted to restore it to factory settings so I could upgrade to Windows 10.  I tried to use the Dell OS Recovery Tool but that required a Windows 8.1 Product Key that I didn't have.  I located a set of OptiPlex 3020 Restore Disks but they kept resulting in an error (couldn't copy files).  I finally gave up and installed Windows 10 from Microsoft believing that my Windows Product Key would be picked up...no such luck.  What are my options?  As far as I know, this is the original hardware.  Thank you, in advance, for your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 9th, 2019 07:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @ABerndt65 

Any W7 COA should be able to activate W10???

Do you have a W7 COA on the case???

Do you have an old laptop/desktop with a W7 COA on it???

Best regards,

U2

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 9th, 2019 13:00

DELL OS RECOVERY TOOL does NOT USE windows key.  It uses service tag.

There is no reason whatsoever to allow the user to read the key in the bios.

Windows 10 installs without a key and then activates automatically once online.

14 Posts

November 11th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your reply.  The Dell OS Recovery Tool is asking for a product key to install Windows 8.1 for some reason.  I have tried every tool I could locate to try to find the product key and nothing is found in the BIOS.  It is possible that something was changed on this system before I got here but doubtful so I don't know what the problem is.  Unfortunately, Dell does not want to provide this key without a charge.

14 Posts

Hi - There is no W7 C of A on the case, just a Windows 8 sticker.  I will try to find a W7 license key if I cannot come up with any other solution.  Dell wants to charge me $129+ tax to assist me with providing a license key that I should already own.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

14 Posts

November 11th, 2019 06:00

So I found a valid W7 license key from a computer due to be scrapped.  Installed Windows 7 Professional, confirmed that it was activated, then installed Windows 10 Pro...same issue.  I receive an error message that says 'Windows reported that no product key was found on your device.  Error code: 0xC004F213'.  Not sure what to do at this point.

14 Posts

November 11th, 2019 07:00

It finally worked.  I went into storage and grabbed 4 keys off of old computers (for the next time this happens) and I got the first one to activate.  I've never had an issue with this before installing Windows 10, it has always found the product key in the past.  I appreciate your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 11th, 2019 07:00

@ABerndt65 

Go to "Settings"

Then "Update & Security"

Click on "Activation"

Then "Change Product Key"

There enter the W7 COA  xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

If the COA has not been used to activate W10 before it should then.

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 11th, 2019 08:00

Your very welcome @ABerndt65 

The COA that you used can never be used to activate any W7 or W10 ever again.

As far as the system you used it on, it will never need to have a COA again.

During W10 activation an electronic signature of your system is saved by Microsoft.

So if you ever need to replace the HDD and reinstall W10 it will automatically activate when it goes online.

Unless you replace the motherboard, then you would need to start all over again.

Best regards,

U2

14 Posts

November 11th, 2019 08:00

I destroyed the Windows 7 C of A sticker after I successfully activated Windows 10.  Again, I really appreciate your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 11th, 2019 09:00

@ABerndt65 

Microsoft deactivates that COA and links it to the new W10 siginture.

I am curious if after W7's end of life-cycle in January, will W7 COA's still activate W10???

Windows life-cycle fact sheet:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Regards,

U2

No Events found!