Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 13th, 2018 08:00

Win 10 not activating

Have a newer Optiplex 3040 that came with Windows 10 Pro from Dell and was set up for a user at their home so they could remote in. They asked me to look at it for a separate issue when I noticed it showed “Windows is not activated” in the lower right corner.

I went to system properties and ran the troubleshooter but it said it could not activate, error 0xc004c003. My first call was to Microsoft and after speaking with someone for a few minutes they had me run “wmic path softwarelicensingservice get oa3xoriginalproductkey” to pull the product key and then copy and paste it in the “change product key window” but that did not work as well.

Any suggestions? Should be a Dell OEM key

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Not at all as it's not a domain-joined computer. It's a standalone computer running Windows 10 Pro. Nothing special about it.

Seems to be a known bug

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key-blocked-fixed-for-me/34c01d84-28b9-4f37-bdd9-66de3d9ee700

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Do you think it could be because it was a work computer and it cannot connect to the work servers now? That's the error code it is showing. If it is an Enterprise edition of windows that might mean the license is tied to a business volume license. It is not an oem license. Have the user check with his IT dept at work. Or ignore the activation message and just fix the other problems,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 13th, 2018 09:00

That is his home computer that's having the issue. We ordered it for him so he could remote into his desktop at the office. Doesn't seem to be affecting it at the moment. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 13th, 2018 09:00

That 2015 link about updating from win 8 does not apply here. The error is cannot connect to servers or blocked servers. Since the computer was setup to work from home not from your shop--probably by someone other than the user-- I think you can ignore the activation error if it does not apply to the problem he is having. Ask him if he has seen that message at home. If he has been using the computer for awhile, he would have had problems with activation before now.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 14th, 2018 11:00

Activation should be connected to his Microsoft account. Could that be the problem? Did he ever activate windows? I'm out of ideas. Last thought-- 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter 

Good luck figuring this out.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 15th, 2018 06:00

I was the one wh setup the computer for her at her home and it was activated at the time. I would have definitely seen the "windows is not activated" in the bottom right hand of the screen.

I think it's a Windows bug where it temporarily loses the activation. GOing to try to install any pending updates the next time I can get on that computer to see if that helps.

No Events found!