Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

November 30th, 2019 23:00

Windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade query

Hi Folks,

We have windows 7 pre media dell license .

If we upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 it's asking license key and we tried the existing license key installed information it's not activated.

Can anyone help us to resolve this issue ??

Regards,

Parthiban M

192 Posts

December 1st, 2019 11:00

Click "I don't have a key" and continue on. It should activate with a digital license key after upgrade and going online.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 07:00

"windows 7 pre media" no such version.

windows 7 home premium can only upgrade to 10 if you have WINDOWS 7 home premium COA sticker. 

If you had RETAIL windows 7 there is no upgrade.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

You can use OEM DVD to install with the I do not have a key option and choose HOME or PRO depending on the COA key.

If this system has XP or VISTA COA you MUST BUY A NEW COPY of windows.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit/p/N82E16832416892

2.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 08:00

there is tool to run to scan BIOS for COA'

sure is.

saves lots of time wondering (for  sure failed)

here is that great tool and I have tested it .

IF YOU SEE MSDM there, bingo COA, there. all in 15 seconds work.

LINK TO TOOL (nirSoft is great maker used by me for years, all their tools)

2.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 08:00

no PC stated at all (it has number) and has MT ,DT ,SF,F  USFF, Micro or AIO case CLASS TOO.

therefore the  class of BIOS iis unknown.

if PC is w8 era it has a license now stored in BIOS, (UEFI same) w8 most times upgrades for free.

home to home , pro to pro, etc.

so if you click activate it works,  if not you buy a w10 COA key , MS (not dell) real OEM keys are very cheap. $5.

but have zero MS support, they are builders keys.

that is all the hints  .

Next time please tell what PC you have,  here is the huge  list. back to 2003

no way can anyone guess, or answers 10 ways from Sunday. even wrong. (anyone)

478 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 14:00

@savvy2 

"buy a w10 COA key , MS (not dell) real OEM keys are very cheap. $5."

Where do you buy these licence keys for $5 ??

52 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 16:00

On every system I own that was running Windows 7 or 8 I've simply created an install USB stick by going to the Microsoft Create Windows 10 installation media website and then installed it to a blank hard disk or SSD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

When asked for a serial number I simply choose 'skip' and it's always activated without an issue. It's sort of an unofficial "free upgrade to Windows 10" that still works.

You will obviously have to back up all your files and be prepared to reinstall all your apps. Windows 10 is pretty good at installing all the right device drivers There might be easier ways to transfer files and settings, etc.. but I just start from scratch and it makes for a very clean install without any old stuff that might get in the way of things working properly.

If you first back up your whole system with something like Paragon's free backup utility you can always restore your old system:

https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/#

Easier still is buy a new hard disk or SSD to install it on so you can just pop in the old drive if things don't work out.

Russell

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 17:00

Probably eBay.

478 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 20:00

Cool. Wonder if they are genuine, and why so cheap? I thought windows costs well over $100.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 20:00

I bought a Win10 DVD off of eBay for $20.  I used it for a clean install on an SSD.  It worked perfect.  It's not a copy somebody made.  I thought that was a good deal, but lately speedstep has been linking $9.99 DVD's.

No Events found!