Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2019 07:00

can my optiplex 7010 use a MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card?

i have a bone stock (refurbed) Optiplex 7010 tower and i want to turn it in to a semi gaming pc. i understand i have to put a new power supply as well but, can i use the motherboard or not? if not link me a GPU i can use with my motherboard. thanks

Link: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-128-Bit-Support-Graphics/dp/B07QTMRJTK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=MSI+Gaming+GeForce+GTX+1650&qid=1562682379&refinements=p_36%3A1253506011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&rnid=1248877011&s=electronics&sr=1-1

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2019 10:00

7010 is ancient VACCUUM TUBE model that can run windows XP.

Therefore CLASS 2.3.1  UEFI based cards are NEVER EVER WORKING in this model.Older pascal based cards Up to GTX 1080 TI work fine with proper power supply upgrade.

Even models as old as the 2006 XPS 400 work.

standard GT1030 card works fine without needing to buy anything else.

• Manufacturer part G10302PC
  • Dell part AA362018

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/aa362018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9b0TkTsLM

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 15th, 2019 16:00

DELL Uses Dell Bios and INTEL AMT

Systems that have Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) has security that prevents unauthorized BIOS updates.

There are no utilities or other software offered to end users EVER.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 19th, 2019 09:00

7010 can boot and run windows xp.

there is NO SECURE BOOT Mode and there will never be.

Demonstrably is false.  Windows uses ELAM to not allow any device or driver or software to load based on UEFI CERTIFICATE in bios.  Thats what secure boot mode is. Early Launch AntiMalware. The ELAM feature provides a Microsoft-supported mechanism for antimalware (AM) software to start before other third-party components. AM drivers are initialized first and allowed to control the initialization of subsequent boot of windows 8 or 10.  All future windows will be 64 bit only, windows 10 only.

UEFI cards do not support MSDOS VESA video mode 103 and therefore they do not initialize and do not work.

There may be other software added like clover aka hackintosh mac OS that works with these cards but using windows is not an option.

Any model given advice about is one that I personally own and or have used in the past.

Oldest model working with Pascal based card is Optiplex GX620 or Precision 380.

There is a further complication in that PCI-E 2.0 bus DOES NOT SUPPORT 128b/130b PCI-E line code on the X16 bus.  2.0 uses 8b/10b line code PHY.

This is a known problem between compatability of PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/guide/pci-express3-phy-implementation-considerations-idf2009-presentation.pdf

You can post all the nonsense you want its not working and its not going to work out of the box.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 28th, 2020 11:00

Recent updates in 2018 to 3010 7010 9010 seem to indicate that a newer bios is available.  You cannot jump from A00 to A29 in a single step.

ALL MODELS of 7010 have LESS THAN 300W power supply. This means a 75W card is not supported.

275W is max power supply size and thats the tower.

240W is all you get for SFF.

Telling people that ANY 75W card works in ANY 7010 is bad advice at best and permanent damage advice at worst.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

If you upgrade a TOWER model with EVGA 700BR

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-700w-atx12v-eps12v-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-dc-dc-technology-black/6346160.p?skuId=6346160

It will support a short card.  Full length cards however will not fit into the case.

WHQL Win8 capability is mentioned for A16.

XP and VISTA and 32 bit OS however is not compatible with Secure boot.

You can't have both on the same machine.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/how13354/optiplex-7010-windows-10-driver-pack?lang=en

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03631140M/1/7010-WIN10-A01-GR1XM.CAB

You download the cab file and move to my documents folder and extract using 7 zip.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

You can then update any missing legacy drivers in device manager via update from my pc vs from the internet.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/#esuprt_desktop_optiplex_legacy

Description Version
Dell OptiPlex 7010 System BIOS
This package provides the BIOS update for Dell OptiPlex 7010 running in the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A29
This package provides the BIOS update for Dell OptiPlex 7010 running in the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A28
A26
A25
A24
A23
A22
A21
A20
A19
A18
OptiPlex 7010 System BIOS
A16
Dell Optiplex 7010 System BIOSMore details
A14
Dell Optiplex 7010 System BIOS
This package provides the BIOS update for Dell OptiPlex 7010 running the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A13
Dell OptiPlex 7010 System BIOSMore details
A12
A15
Dell OptiPlex 7010 System BIOSMore details
A09
OptiPlex 7010 System BIOSMore details
A08
OpeiPlex 7010 system BIOS
OptiPlex 7010 System BIOSMore details
A04
DELL,DSK PROG,BIOS,FWH,7010,A01,A01
OptiPlex 7010 System BIOS A01More details
A01

rch Category Device Description Status

x64 audio

Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver

No Change

x64 chipset

Intel Chipset Driver

Updated

x64 chipset

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver

Updated

x64 communication

Sunix Serial/Parallel Card Driver

No Change

x64 input

Dell Smartcard USB Keyboard Driver

Updated

x64 network

Broadcom 57XX/BACS Combined Package Driver

Updated

x64 network

Intel I2xx/825xx/10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Driver

No Change

x64 network

Dell Wireless 1540/1504/1530 WiFi Driver

Updated

x64 storage

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console

Updated

x64 video

Intel HD, HD 4000 Graphics Driver

Updated

x64 video

AMD Radeon HD 8490,HD 8570,R5-240,R7-250,Win10 32/64bit Graphic Driver

No Change

x64 video

Nvidia Geforce GT640,GTX645,GTX745 64bit Graphic Driver

Not Included

2.5K Posts

huh dat video of Dell DXP051 Pentium D 930 3.0GHz, is like CORE Gen 3, really, 2006 is 2011, really?

vacuum tubes in the year 2012, (all my old games run on hollow state technology no problem)

wow,  I guess my ICOM IC-7200 has  tubes too? who'd of thunked it? but my HK SB200 does, 

OP no case SIZE (format) stated but if MT why not try it and tell us.

newegg has  great return policy, if length is ok try it.

why not ask the gtx msi board maker for support on 7010,  they made the VBIOS not DELL.

aSK THEM. FIRST.

DID YOU KNOW THE TOP TWO MAKERS MSI AND GIGABYTE, Both have vbios  down load pages!

not hacking pages, OEM card majors.

many models in fact offer legacy  VBIOS, just for you, some if you ask them., tell you  if your card is 1 year old or more,

our web site, has a VBIOS up grade called :"AUTO MODE"  In fact, I talked to Nvidia about this and they have the core samples that make this work and many GPU board makers use this upgrades in the VBIOS. now.

learn that this is not static,  ok, like other think here, 10 makers, of card, MSI is one,  of ten

and there are many classes of 1 base model card,  (ram and such) and many have 4 or more VBIOS flash roms (offered, need a list?) .

even for many OS,  unstated by you. so what works is not CAST in concrete. OK,  NOT

OP tell use what you end goal is , even tell what game it is and if played on line or offline only.

2.5K Posts

what case is this, there are 4 case sizes call forum factors,  3 of the 4 have x16 slot, but none stated.

what game, please name , one, or one you must run, today or next year.

the 7010 is not chopped liver runs G2 or gen 3 Intel CPUs (your CPU number not stated)

what OS do you run, my guess w7.8/10 but none stated.

the pc can use 1000s of video cards made.  It sure can. fit and run ok but not high end games.

The PC is worth $100 or less used,  the cards new that are gaming rated are up to 2x that.

This PC will never get full performance from the CARD with old slow processors, (AAA $60 games)

top MSI cards can in fact run in most machines but not fast on old machine.

the card you linked is  auto hybrid card. 1650

id try a cheap,  1050 or old  750 GTX for running old games, or games with textures wicked way down to attain FPS higher.

July 16th, 2019 11:00

so your saying i need a new motherboard or what? what you just said made my brain hurt more then trying to find a GPU that works.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 13th, 2019 18:00

7010 TOWER , DESKTOP, SFF can all use low profile GT1030.

There are not any other viable options.

Tower can have power supply upgraded and use more cards but only NVIDIA.

Current RX series ATI cards do not work in any 7010.

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 wont work in ANY 7010 because like the ATI RX series cards it requires UEFI SECURE BOOT. Does not support windows xp or vista which the 7010 does which means its NOT UEFI Secure boot and never will be.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/msi-gt-1030-2g-lp-oc-graphic-card-2-gb-gddr5-pcie-30-x16-low-profile-hdmi-displayport/apd/aa362018/graphic-video-cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y32mBdZHJY

November 15th, 2019 13:00

What does the UEFI mode Secure Boot option in the Optiplex 7010 Bios do anyway?

590 Posts

November 15th, 2019 16:00

@buzzygoat1234,

When someone shouts emphatically in all caps that something will never work - alarm bells of skepticism should go off.  I debunked the mistaken idea that, for example, 10 year old non-UEFI systems won't run current graphic cards here (including the GeForce GTX 1650 and multiple ATI RX cards).

And I'll debunk it with regards to the Optiplex 7010 as well.

@speedstep wrote:

7010 TOWER , DESKTOP, SFF [...] GT1030.

There are not any other viable options.

Tower can [...] use more cards but only NVIDIA.

Current RX series ATI cards do not work in any 7010.

[...] GeForce GTX 1650 wont work in ANY 7010 because like the ATI RX series cards it requires UEFI SECURE BOOT. [...]

Above is all false and easily demonstrably so.  There are 16,377 Dell Optiplex 7010 benchmarks on userbenchmark.com and it's easy to query them and see whether someone is running a specific config.*

There are 43 benchmarks running a Dell Optiplex 7010 and a GeForce GTX 1650.  Here's just one of them.

And regarding ATI RX series "not" working - there's 129 benchmarks running the 7010 and a AMD RX 580.  Again, just one of them.

So, how does this NOT work?  (I'm not saying it works perfectly or there might be issues that obviously can and have been worked around.)

So, it may be that some current specific manufacturer/model graphic cards won't work on a specific older motherboard, but the reason isn't due to lacking UEFI support but some other incompatibility.  And, getting it to work may require special settings.  I'm also not saying that the day isn't coming (probably next year) when older non-UEFI systems will be locked out of new graphic cards which will require UEFI.  We're just not there yet because current cards have hybrid UEFI / Legacy BIOS/CSM functionality (notice I'm not saying it's officially "supported") and saying otherwise is getting ahead of things.

*To see if someone's running a specific graphics card/SSD/HD, etc. in your system:

1. Go to userbenchmark.com and search for your system from search area in upper-right corner. 
  2. Once your specific system is selected scroll down and click on "Best Build (Edit with custom PC builder)". 
  3. On left-hand side remove with gray "X" all of CPU, GPU, SSD and RAM - leaving only MBD (the motherboard/system model). 
  4. Then click desired tab ("GPU" in this case) and "Change Baseline [GPU or whatever]". 
  5. To see how many benchmarks have this criteria, click "Load baseline user benchmarks" in lower-left section of page.  (If that button is not present, there are no benchmarks with your criteria.) 
  6. From the list of benchmarks, you can click and drill down to system specifics.

590 Posts

November 22nd, 2019 12:00

Deja vu.  Different 16xx series card and machine, but here's speedstep again telling someone "In an older dell [Inspiron 5680, a GTX] 1660 is a non starter. Won't ever work".  Then in the same thread someone points out that config is running in the real world on userbenchmark.com.  Based on this fact the OP decides to give the card a go.  Works perfectly.

It's one thing to express an opinion of doubt ("...I'm not sure that would work..."), but emphatic pronouncements that have no basis in reality and misguide others in their decision-making is not a good thing.  The OP in this thread could be running a GTX 1650 like they wanted, but was fed a bunch of misinformation.

1 Message

December 10th, 2019 13:00

It will work in the optiplex SFF if you go low profile. I used to run a zotac gtx 1070 in a craigslist optiplex 7010 MT i7 3rd gen, all I needed was an upgraded $20 PSU. It was a beater, it was fast, fun, and it made people upset. I still have the optiplex but sold the card when mining took off and people were paying large sums for those things. You could easily do 1650 with a stock power supply.   

I believe you need at least a 3rd gen intel processor to pull this off, otherwise the accompanying PCI specs are inadequate.

January 26th, 2020 04:00

I have a refurbished Optiplex 7010 SFF, and yes it works. I am running exactly that combination, with small-Form Factor and Low Profile card. It works very nicely and I didn't have to do anything special to make it work, just open the case, mount the LP bracket, push the graphics card in and then download and install the drivers. Anyone who tells you it's impossible is just making up nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The card potentially may not be working at 100% efficiency due to limited power supply on the Optiplex, but it is working and runs games smoothly (e.g. Resident Evil 2 remake on medium-high settings). 

2.5K Posts

January 26th, 2020 06:00

the OP never told what case he has. ( I have your card, and works here as do 1000s others shown in my other post)

all my dells run the GTX1650 no problem at all in LEGACY mode,  if you use  UEFI you can fail, ok.

it runs on my 380 , 790, 3020 and T3610 MT, all ARE MT is yours MT , IDK.

fit is first, after all the MT card will never fit the 79mm low profile cases ever. FIT is first, or all else is just tilting at windmills useless and arm waving jive.

posted vast times.

• has to fit. and not HIT things.
  • no UEFI use Legacy only boots,
  • not overload the slot,  some SFF have 25 watt slot limits,  again NO PC told yet. edit post to cure that.
  • must not overload the PSU,  the 1650 will not at 75watts but gee no PC stated, wow just wow.
  • that is about it , if the BIOS is  not locked out with passwords lost,  or CPU overheating and sure  etc.

if confused why not post a photo of your PC, case side open end blinded helpers problem..

I can not see your PC, can I.

2.5K Posts

January 26th, 2020 06:00

forgot this (edits do not work in Firefox v72+ dang (but now IE11 works, only )

TOWER MEANS WHAT? ,  I see 2 towers below, can you use the correct words please is it MT,

what PC do you have,   they are not ALL THE SAME

7010.jpg

I have used over 20 cards in my 790 and 3020

vast cards testing it , no limits at all, in my MT even overloaded with Furmark and PASSMARK

huge PSU I have 750watt.

GTX1650 works,  100% solid,  even AAA+ gamed.

when posting use  the correct name, MT = mini tower. ok? that tells me exactly what mOBO is inside and its LIMITS.

the 7010 has no full blown UEFI features, (but then again with 20 blooming BIOS updates who knows, right)

so in my case I always tell you regardless of BIOS VERSION , make sure no UEFI features are turned on.

are you running windows 10 64bit , yes good,  and it does run. See my tests here.

the only card failed seen by me is one card that is rare with 2  GPU on one card,

I have tested cards up to 219 watt cards. your Turing card is  very low 75watt card, no aux power needed,

there are 12 makers of cards, so I will not ever read all 12 x10 derivative cards manuals just for you.

I use the driver from the maker of the card, there are 12 makers. some send you to Nvidia.com and is right.

if your PC is low profile ,  bad things can happen, Id never touch one, personally, not me.

here is your answer, buy the card at Newegg.com and then if it does fail exchange it.

never buy expensive cards that can not be returned and for SURE not for 12,000 miles away on back side of earth.(if you get my drift) do not buy counterfeit card,  you will fail.

The card you chose is what I'd have picked,  and does work, and sips power, it runs fast , on 50+ games here.

Your PC is not junk and has no vacuum tubes, here is mine failing but is not computer, (a 1 gallon PA)

sb1000.JPG

No Events found!