FreyOk
1 Copper

how to find HDD serial number from DELL service tag

Is it possible to find the original HDD serial number if I know the DELL service tag number - even by contacting DELL company? I have a doubt that someone might change original HDD. PC has been dead overnight.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

HDD serial number from DELL service tag PPID Piece Part ID

Part number yes  Serial Number No.

The device manager would have serial number but you cant get that from a dead drive.  Dell does not post serial numbers.    WMIC can read these from Admin Command Prompt.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln298838/how-to-obtain-a-dell-pcs-motherboard-ppid-pi...

C:\>Wmic baseboard get product, serialnumber, version
 Product SerialNumber Version

012XXX /0X12XX3/CN0123456X7890/ A00

The DPN marking on the drive has the serial number but that is not provided to the user nor is the manufacturer.

DELL USES PPID  Piece Part Identification

Date codes  A, B and C are October (10), November (11) and December (12).  So  8C is 2008, December. 

Days are 0 - 31

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln306267/how-to-find-the-ppid-piece-part-identificati...

a monitor For Example has CN-0X876H-72872-8CG-1MMU

8CG is the key here

8= year = 2008

C= monith 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C  where C= Dec.

G= day - not important in most cases but as above 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v  ect. G=16th

Another Monitor PPID

PPID on the Monitor is CN-0V6WMN-72872-14L-0RYI

CN = China
V6WMN = Dell Part number
72872 = Manufacturer Factory (confidential)
14L = Date code (Year, Month, Day)
0RYI = Manufacturer code (confidential)

Warranty data is attached to the Dell order number which is why service tags are not allowed to be posted here.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos