Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2019 06:00

optiplex micro 7060: type-c monitor doesn't work (Linux, Windows)

I try to connect a third monitor through type-c port (I have two u2415 (DP) and one e1715s (DP, HDMI)) under Linux (4.19.67, 5.2.9) and Windows 10 (latest). I have no successed yet (I have already spent a week doing this). Optiplex completely upgraded (BIOS, drivers etc.).

I bought:

1. Dell USB-C - DisplayPort (DBQANBC067)

2. Baseus USB Type-C - HDMI (CATSY-0G) 

Both don't work neither with Linux nor Windows. Need help!

15 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 05:00

For those users who will find this topic:

1. A monitor can be connected through a USB-C 3.1 Gen 1/2 (not Thunderbolt) port (Alternative Mode).

2. Not every port USB-C 3.1 Gen 1/2 port supports Alternative Mode.

3. Optiplex 7060 micro supports only Power Delivery mode on its front USB-C port.

I was misled by "Service Manual", where:

This chapter details the technology and components available in the system.

Alternate Mode

USB Type-C is a new connector standard that is very small. It is about a third the size of an old USB Type-A plug. This is a single connector
standard that every device should be able to use. USB Type-C ports can support a variety of different protocols using “alternate modes,”
which allows you to have adapters that can output HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, or other types of connections from that single USB port

As you can see, there is no clarity that this mode exists only on an optional card (see below).

It became my "mistake".

But there is a "Setup and specification guide" (did'n know about it) where:

One USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port with PowerShare (front)

Two DisplayPorts 1.2 (rear)

VGA/DP1.2/HDMI2.0/Type-C Alt Mode/DP-Alt mode (optional) (rear)

It means that there is an optional card (yotube video of such card) that can be a USB-C port (or VGA, or DP, or HDMI etc.) with Alternative Mode (not front USB-C).

All those things I found out by myself. I did request to official technical support and I can say for sure - I haven't seen such unqualified staff very long time. They didn't help at all, they were just repeating "do request to your operating system vendor".

15 Posts

August 21st, 2019 02:00

I checked the adapter and the cable with USB-C of Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti (gv-n208tgaming oc-11gc) under Windows 10 - just works flawless (in opposite to optiplex).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2019 06:00

USB-C to any video could be Thunderbolt.

USB-C is not the same as thunderbolt but uses the same connector.

USB to video for windows or linux requires drivers.

If you want more than 1 monitor you need expensive hardware.

https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/displayport/

Triple Head to goTriple Head to go

15 Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

speedstep, Don't know why you wrote all those things to me

7060 already has 2 DP ports. Is it expensive ? I don't think so

Besides, I have already used 4 monitors with my old e6440 laptop and E-port Replicator 2 Plus: laptop screen, 2 DP and 1 VGA. It's old hadrware but it just works.

Hence a multi monitor configuration - is not expensive, especially if your hardware works as declared.

In my case I have two absolutely working options to connect third monitor to optiplex, but usb-c port doesn't work correctly (I suspect firmware).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

usb-c port is not a DISPLAY port unless this is a THUNDERBOLT port.

usb-c and thunderbolt 3 use the same physical connector HOWEVER this does not mean that the port is thunderbolt. Optional 3rd Video Port is not standard. USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 front is NOT THUNDERBOLT.

Thunderbolt 3 also has SECURITY that WILL NOT ALLOW devices to connect unless authorized.

I actually DO NOT SEE Thunderbolt 3 listed at all for the 7060.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305150/some-systems-with-usb-type-c-port-lack-a-thunderbolt-3-controller?lang=en

15 Posts

August 21st, 2019 08:00

speedstep, Please, don't use capital letters, it's very horrible to read.

I have already known that front port is usb-c 3.1 gen 2 (not Thunderbolt) and I have already read the Service Manual for Optiplex 7060 where describes features of the hardware:

Alternate Mode:

USB Type-C is a new connector standard that is very small. It is about a third the size of an old USB Type-A plug. This is a single connector standard that every device should be able to use. USB Type-C ports can support a variety of different protocols using “alternate modes,” which allows you to have adapters that can output HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, or other types of connections from that single USB port.

A little more information about Alt Mode:

Alt Mode is a functional extension of USB-C which enables the USB connection to carry non-USB signals. Alt Mode(s) are optional capabilities that are unique to the USB-C connector or port that allow technologies, like DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3, to be transmitted. Knowing what devices and ports support the various Alt Modes may be confusing and, at times, frustrating.

Some information about Dell USB-C - DisplayPort (DBQANBC067):

[65887.224369] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[65887.353628] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=06c4, idProduct=c401, bcdDevice= 0.04
[65887.353639] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[65887.353644] usb 1-2: Product: DisplayPort ALT mode device
[65887.353648] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: BizLink Technology Inc.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2019 10:00

"conversion from USB-C to Display isn't supported by devices unless they have a thunderbolt port."

So the answer is its not working.

USB 2 on the other hand does work.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-Graphics-Multiple-1920x1080-10095/dp/B0182MIZTK

15 Posts

August 21st, 2019 10:00

Ha-ha. I found similar topic on HP site. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/USB-C-Alternate-mode-not-working-not-available/td-p/6328590

Pay attention to answers of tech staff

15 Posts

August 21st, 2019 11:00

speedstep, Stop writing wrong information!

The Service Manual unambiguously writes about Alternative Mode. My devices completely compatible with this mode.

I intentional put the link with the same problem (didn't read it ?).
See comment of a user who uses HP 13-ad024tu with USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (!!!) and external monitor connected to it.

Description of his lap 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 headphone/microphone combo

PS. There are many such comments from other users and completely amateurish answers of tech support.

15 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 05:00

I as a user of:

1. lattitude e6440 x2

2. optiplex 7050 micro

3. optiplex 7060 micro

4. dell monitor u2415 x2

5. dell monitor e1715s

6. e-port replicator 2 Plus
7. keyboard & mouse combo km717

can say for sure - I will consider other vendors during the next upgrade (as well as choosing other vendors during budgeting for the purchase server hardware).

Today 2019 and users deserve better support and attitude

2.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 06:00

type-c monitor doesn't work (Linux, Windows) this fist line is dead wrong, you have no such monitor nor PC.

Display  Port over USB-c is not here, read this.

OP i clicked your name and read your posts, 

you are in Russian Federation?, and think your PC has USB-C ports,  IT DOES NOT.!

read this about CONFUSION ! (for sure read this first)!!!

SPEC ON YOUR PC:

here is your 7060 spec page. see that GEN2 is better. I Guess the new GEN2 connectors confused you?

Micro: 6 External USB: 1 x USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 (front); 5 x 3.1 Gen 1 (1 front, with PowerShare/4
rear - One with SmartPower On)
1 RJ-45
2-Displayport
1-Serial
2-PS/2
1 Optional 3rd Video Port (VGA/DP/HDMI 2.0b/USB Type-C Alt Mode) ( YOU HAVE THIS OPTION?????)

(what that means just above is anyones guess,card maker and model who knows...)
1 Universal Audio Jack
1 Line-Out

gen1 and 2

• USB 3.2 Gen 1, is USB 3.0. It has a maximum throughput of 5Gbps. This is also known as SuperSpeed USB.
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2, is USB 3.1. It has a maximum throughput of 10Gbps. This is also known as SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps.
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2×2, is USB 3.2. It has a maximum throughput of 20Gbps. This is also known as SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps.

15 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 07:00

@savvy2Are you kidding me ? USB-C 3.1 Gen 1/2 is not Thunderbolt!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 07:00

Thunderbolt requires specific Controller and has the Lightning Icon on the port.

USB-C  is NOT thunderbolt 3.

Some Systems with USB Type-C Port Lack a Thunderbolt 3 Controller

Thunderbolt 3 Controller is REQUIRED.

USB Type-C port will not support a connection to a Thunderbolt 3 device (such as a monitor or  Thunderbolt Dock (TB16).

This is a result of either:

• The system does not meet the hardware requirements for Thunderbolt 3
  • The system has the capability but was not ordered with an OPTIONAL Thunderbolt 3 controller

AFAIKT this is NOT an option for the 7060.

Thunderbolt 3 is different from its predecessors:

The Mini DisplayPort connection type has been ditched in favor of a USB-C connection type.
All Thunderbolt 3 cables will work as USB-C cables.

Thunderbolt 3 is backward-compatible with earlier versions of Thunderbolt, but due to bios port security and the new port type, adapters are required to use legacy Thunderbolt devices.

Since Thunderbolt 3 devices use discrete Thunderbolt controllers to function, they will not function if plugged into a USB-C port that does not have a controller.

1 Message

February 27th, 2020 02:00

Hello, for others referred here from google search, I have also encountered this problem.

I contacted dell support, and asked for this usb-c optional port.

Internally, this part is referred to as

Dell ASSY Daughterboard Card I/O Type C Micro

For the optiplex micro 7070, the part number is R9J4K.

Unsure if this will work for the 7060 micro.

Check this third party site for prices and part number for other models:

https://itprice.com/dell-price-list/assembly,card,input/output,type%20c,.html

This is the usb-c port that support displayport alt-mode, the one on front does not.

Hope this helps

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 27th, 2020 07:00

R9J4K  Assembly,Card,Input/Output,TYPE C,MICRO,D9

No Events found!