Highlighted
Dird
1 Nickel

DR test not showing anything (Windows) - what's been missed?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there any document detailing the steps to bring ASM up on a replicated DR site?

We have our production server block replicating to another site. On the DR side we took a snapshot & presented this snapshot to a server (prod is still replicating blocks to DR, it's just not visible to the snapshot).

I brought the disks online but ASMCMD didn't show anything. I then ran md_restore to retrieve the folder structure.

lsdg/v$asm_disk show disks there but they say the disks are almost completely free. I asked & was told the snapshot hadn't accidentally been emptied (so the 100% free info remains a mystery). Navigating asmcmd shows no files.

The disks are showing as being stamped though.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dba_hba
1 Nickel

Re: DR test not showing anything (Windows) - what's been missed?

Jump to solution

Get your snapshot refreshed and do not use md_restore. Then repeat the steps I outlined.

Also check out MyOS: Disks shown in asmtool but not in v$asm_disk view on Windows (Doc ID 1069456.1)

Allan

0 Kudos
20 Replies
ichakrab
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you create and mount the disk groups ? When you start the ASM instance what is the error message you are getting ? Pls. let us know. If you are getting additional error messages , pls. let us know.

For reference, you may consult the Oracle documentation on ASM here.

Regards,

Indranil

0 Kudos
Dird
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

I restored the disk groups from production using md_restore.

The ASM instance has no error message, it lists the disks (by their labels) in v$asm_disk.

However, it says the diskgroups are empty and when you go through ASMCMD the folders (e.g. \datafile) are empty

0 Kudos
ichakrab
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Pls. provide the output of the following sql queries/commands

1) SQL> select path,total_mb,free_mb,name,label,mode_status,state,mount_status from v$asm_disk where rownum < 6;

2) /etc/init.d/oracleasm  listdisks

3) md_backup & md_restore (along with the parameter file associated with md_backup)

4) SQL> select * from v$asm_diskgroup;

Regards,

Indranil

0 Kudos
Dird
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

1) is identical to prod except it says like 99% free space.

2) It's Windows

3) md_backup was taken from prod & restored to DR

4) They're the same except different GROUP_NUMBERs and the FREE_MB again (68mb used vs 600gb)

Mike

0 Kudos
ichakrab
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

I was trying to see the file that got generated during md_backup and was used during md_restore.

Can you please try RMAN Level 0 backup and restore in DR. Does it work ?

Regards,

Indranil

0 Kudos
dba_hba
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Mike

You do not say which version of Oracle you are using or if it is single instance? There could be a number of thing that are not correctly configured.

Firstly,

• Can you see the disks with asmtool (asmtoolg for graphical interface) or amdu?
  • Are the disks stamped correctly?
  • Is your asm_diskstring correct?
  • See if you can mount the DiskGroup using the ASMCA gui?

The following  My Oracle Support: Documents may be of help

Disks shown in asmtool but not in v$asm_disk view on Windows (Doc ID 1069456.1)

Oracle Restart on Windows: How to Reinstall GI + RDBMS Software keeping the ASM disk groups in a 11.2 Grid Infrastructure Standalone Environment (Doc ID 1471405.1)

Lastly

md_backup  generates  SQL/DDL to recreate an ASM DiskGroup and structure (metadata). md_restore recreates a NEW EMPTY disk group from the SQL - so is behaving as expected.

Allan

0 Kudos
Dird
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Allan,

ASM is 11.2.0.3 (11.2.0.0.0 compatibility).

asmtool is showing them labelled as expected. The disks are stamped correctly, the group number's are just different.

asm_diskstring is null, the same as production. amdu doesn't seem to do anything...possibly due to the asm_disktring?

It creates a new disk group? I was under the impression it just creates the folder structure (asmcmd). Otherwise wouldn't you lose the datafiles (making the restore worthless)?

All 5 disks are listed as MOUNTED & AVAILABLE in ASM.

Mike

0 Kudos
dba_hba
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

What about in ASMCA? are the disk groups recognised?

Dird
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

ASCMA looks different compared to prod. It asks for passwords: pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=79281 (URL, avoiding moderation wait)

I'm a bit confused by it since the ASM instance is already there & I can query the views.

0 Kudos