Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2014 15:00

Do we recommend PV-SCSI for all workloads?

For workloads like Application servers, or Apps that access flat file system based repositories?

I know we would recommend it for DB workloads, but customer was asking about using it for non-DB workloads.

256 Posts

March 24th, 2014 07:00

Matt:

pvscsi is free and from what I can tell, performance is never worse when you run it. I think of pvscsi as being like chicken soup when you have a cold: Can't hurt, might help.

Certainly for any IO intensive workload, pvscsi is a no-brainer.

Regards,

Jeff

27 Posts

March 24th, 2014 06:00

Hi Matthew,

It would be great if you can elaborate on your question for greater clarity. I feel that flat file repository may be a single point of failure and there may be a bottleneck in performance in the long-run.

Thanks.

10 Posts

March 24th, 2014 08:00

I agree with Jeff.

We, VMware, absolutely recommend using PVSCSI for DB workloads. PVSCSI enhances performances and also facilitates more queues to the vmdk's , hence more channels to the luns.

27 Posts

March 24th, 2014 14:00

I am more worried about using pv SCSI for non DB workloads.

Any reason not to use it?

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse typo's

10 Posts

Nope, PVSCSI is available if you need that extra boost, it does not hurt to use it., For example, I have customers who are using PVSCSI for RHEL OS vmdk's in their production env, RHEL out of the box provides pvscsi support, OS disks are not IO heavy but they like doing this just to ensure that they have reserve boost in case they need to use that SCSI controller for some other vmdk's which may take advantage of pvscsi capabilities....

27 Posts

Customer is looking for a Recommendation on using PVSCSI vs LSI Logic going forward for all VMs.

Thoughts?

10 Posts

-For high IO workloads , DB/Non DB, PVSCSI controllers are recommended for hosting that application VMDK's.

-you can use LSI logic as the SCSI controller for that OS vmdk if you do not see a lot of IO's on the OS disk.

-HTH

256 Posts

March 24th, 2014 15:00

Like I said, might help, can't hurt. I would always load pvscsi, personally.

10 Posts

never hurts as Jeff said, keep in mind for the OS Vmdk to be supported by PVSCSI controllers, the OS has to natively supoort it, RHEL does that for a fact ,  OEL UEK does not .

27 Posts

Good point. Customer is using RHEL.

27 Posts

It does help. Thanks...

27 Posts

Got it.