Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2013 06:00

Oracle OpenWorld 2013 Community Discussion

Oracle OpenWorld 2013 Community Discussion

Oracle OpenWorld is right around the corner. What are you most excited for at OOW 2013 in San Francisco? We want to know! Have questions? We'll answer them.

Use this discussion thread to share what you're looking forward to, ask questions, and most importantly to share your experience at the show!

Interested in all of the other great things EMC is doing at OOW? Check out the...

OOW vPass

14.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 10:00

Does EMC plan to enhance further integration between DD and Exadata?  Can anything on that subject will be revealed at OOW?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 12:00

DDBoost support for Oracle 12c ?

10 Posts

September 24th, 2013 02:00

A few more details here

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2013 04:00

Nice

17 Posts

September 24th, 2013 07:00

Did Oracle have any choice to enter this market after SAP released Hana and SQLServer2012 enhancements? Still like Pivotal's in memory data grid strategy better.

September 25th, 2013 03:00

I'm rather curious about how Oracle will integrate Openstack into its product offering, and whether it will work with non-Oracle Openstack implementations.

15 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

Wow, I can't believe it's already Wednesday.  Last week flew by.  What was everyone's favorite thing from OOW? I dont know if I can choose just one, but I know Sam ROCKED it as the demo guy during our keynote!

121 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Sad to have missed the opportunity to go to Oracle Open World, but glad I was able to follow along from home with everybody's online coverage.

109 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 15:00

Oracle Database Backup Logging Recovery Appliance: Just databases?

One of the big announcements at Oracle OpenWorld was the new “Oracle Database Backup Logging Recovery Appliance” or ODBLRA. This does sound like an interesting announcement with one big gap: everything outside the database. As an example, let’s use the Oracle’s E-Business suite which is comprised of:

• Oracle database server
  • Oracle Home directory (ORACLE_HOME)
    • All database files
  • Applications Top (APPL_TOP): applications files
  • Common Top (APPL_TOP): shared files

Certainly, there is more to the E-Business directory architecture however; the database is only one component of the overall application. In my years as an Oracle Applications DBA there were more than a few times we had to restore from a backup. The job of restoring the entire application suite was simple if the database and application files were in a consistent state. If the application are in an inconsistent state then the Application DBA might have to run scripts like ‘CMCLEAN.SQL’ (My Oracle Support Article: 134007.1) and of course there is other caches (My Oracle Support Article 742107.1) like the $OA_HTML and the ‘mod_plsql’ directory under the $IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/modplsql/cache directory. Adding these steps lengthens the application recovery time and that’s important as the business most likely will not recognize a full recovery has been achieved until the application is available.

Having the database backed up to the ODBLRA appliance and the applications backed up to another destination could mean an unnecessarily complex restore process and restoring the applications environment to a consistent state may not be possible without some of the additional steps discussed above.  This might also require two backup administers to restore one copy of the applications. All this could lengthen the overall recovery of the application. Please keep in mind that I wasn’t able to find documentation for ODBLRA so the key assumption of having to use two backup solutions to restore the E-Business suite couldn’t be validated. Most of the benefits of the ODBLRA are here today with Data Domain and if you want true active/active availability without having to do a recovery, because sometimes seconds matter, then consider EMC VPLEX with Extended Oracle RAC.

So would you consider using two backup solutions?

If you like this discussion please give me 4 or 5 stars so I can achieve the: Valued Author award.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 20:00

What is the key OOW messages from our competitors like NetApp, IBM, HP, .... ?

181 Posts

October 7th, 2013 07:00

I posted my photos from OOW13 here: Picasa Web Albums - Sean Thulin - Oracle OpenWo...

6 Posts

October 7th, 2013 07:00

I agree, more complex with 2 solutions. Could be interesting to see some use cases on this

467 Posts

October 8th, 2013 06:00

I was looking for this link,  thanks!

No Events found!