Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 15th, 2011 12:00

Problems with Oracle RMAN backups via NFS hanging the Oracle Server

IHAC who is backing up their databases to Datadomain via RMAN and NFS.  They are having problems with their NFS mounts disappearing and when this happens their oracle servers hang.  Does anyone have customers that have had similar problems and mitigated these problems with procedures such as soft mounts or scripts? 

Please let me know if you have ideas on this.

98 Posts

September 15th, 2011 13:00

I guess my question would be...  what's the problem that's causing their NFS mounts to disappear?  Really, there isn't a whole ton of ways to prevent a performance issue if a resource disappears during a database activity.  This isn't really an Oracle specific thing - most apps misbehave when that sort of thing happens.

So with that being said, has there been any attempt to address their NFS issue? 

Rob

98 Posts

I take it that's not an option.  Let me do some digging and see what options I can come up with.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I agree this would happen with other apps than Oracle.

I agree that making their network not have problems would resolve the issue.

Does anyone else have ideas? 

53 Posts

September 16th, 2011 04:00

Please see paper “EMC Backup and Recovery for Oracle 11g OLTP” this covers this area.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/technical-documentation/h7207-backup-recovery-oracle-clariion-dd-networker-psg.pdf

The following recommendation is made

mount -t nfs -o hard,intr,nfsvers=3,proto=tcp,bg :/backup /mountpoint

Also see Data Domain’s “Linux System Tuning Guide” for more in-depth information on tuning Linux backup servers.

https://my.datadomain.com/custom-view/integration/linux_BU_servers_775-0191-0001.pdf?query=query%3Dlinux&fsearch=1&pagenumber=1&size=10&index=0&filterids=

Finally if the issue persists the customer should open an SR with support.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 25th, 2011 18:00

is this RAC environment ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 27th, 2011 05:00

if it's for RAC, where is the recommended NFS mount parameter of "noac" or "actime=0".

63 Posts

September 27th, 2011 05:00

The mount/proxy host in the solution is single instance. The backup is not direct against the production RAC database.

No Events found!