Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2014 12:00

RAC on VMware - NMP recommendations?

The following question just popped up on Oracle Community:

Hi all – I had a request from a customer today.  He’s looking for any published recommendations/best practices for running Oracle RAC on VMware vSphere, but using NMP, not PowerPath.  Specifically, he would like assurance that running NMP settings for Round Robin (changing maxiops to 1) are fine, and there’s no need for anything like Fixed Path at all. I’ve looked all over all our sites to no avail, and can’t find anything specific to this on the VMware documents either, but to be honest it’s the first time I’ve gone looking for this topic.  I’m sending to a larger audience in hopes that others have had this question already.

First question – is there anything anyone’s aware of published out there w/r/t NMP settings for running virutlaized RAC?

Second question – any known issues with Round Robin settings using NMP (assuming OEL Linux) within nodes in a virtual RAC cluster instead of using PP/VE?

10 Posts

March 31st, 2014 14:00

From what I have seen, starting vsphere 5.1, most EMC storage used VMW_PSP_RR ie Round Robin as their default path selection policy for load balancing, so it should be okay using NMP with RR as the PSP, with maxiops=1.

The challenge is when we set the NMP to a different psp and we have the storage vendor recommending a different one based on the nature of the array ie Active/Active or Active/Passive.

So I have not seen or heard of any known issues with Round Robin settings using NMP. To my knowledge , I am not aware of anything published w/r/t NMP settings for running vRAC

10 Posts

March 31st, 2014 15:00

plus VMW_PSP_RR is not adaptive , its kinda static , based on the number of IOPS you send along the path to rotate between all available paths...default is 1000

No Events found!