Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2012 10:00

T10 PI

If I understood correctly announcements, from EMC portfolio VMAX is certified only for now.  Is there a plan to extend this to other FC based products? Compared to original specs and speeds achieved with nowadays technology, new correction algorithm seems to be more than welcome for enterprise environments.

643 Posts

October 10th, 2012 19:00

Yes, the initial proven solution for the Silent Data Corruption are very specific with the below configuration components:

Oracle Linux 5.x, 6.x

Oracle UEK 2.6.39-200.24.1

Oracle ASMlib 2.0.8 or later

Emulex HBA LPe1200x, 2.01a10 firmware

EMC Symmetrix VMAX with Enginuity 5876

The engineering teams are at work broadening support for more flavors of OS,HBA etc.

With the announcement, the Symmetrix VMAX is the first storage array to support this new end-to-end approach for Oracle.

Please refer to the blog post on the topic from Chuck's Blog

14.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 14:00

Hi, I saw Chucks article, but there I could also not find hints of future roadmap when it comes to implementation elsewhere. Just like H.A.R.D., the future of this depends on how it will be embraced by the others.  However reading it I realized that it is not just disk array+HBA+Oracle (ASM), but also Oracle Linux that is required (I thought Oracle Linux kernel plus ASM would be enough). Many places are still running Red Hat so I wonder how this will (if at all) affect those sites.

46 Posts

November 1st, 2012 08:00

The Oracle Linux kernel is 100% Open Source. So customers who want Red Hat support should go to Red Hat and ask for them to include whatever is needed in their kernel and start supporting it.

BTW the same is true for ASMLib and other OEL kernel modifications.

No Events found!