Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2011 09:00

Virtualized vs. Physical Performance on Various Storage Configs

This issue arose in the context of review the presentation for Sam's and my up-coming VMworld talk. Basically the idea is to compare virtualized vs. physical performance in a variety of storage contexts. NetApp did something similar a recently, but it did not include virtualization.

I would dearly love to see EMC do something like this (although it would be a lot of work). This would compare the following:

• ASM / FC / physical
  • ASM / FC / RDM-P
  • ASM / FC / RDM-V
  • VMFS / FC
  • Same 4 above on iSCSI / 10 GbE
  • Same 4 above on FCoE / 10 GbE
  • dNFS physical / 10 GbE
  • dNFS virtual / 10 GbE
  • NFS datastore / .vmdk / 10 GbE

The last is probably the least interesting, but I include it for completeness. I would suggest a TPC-C workload, as that is the most interesting database benchmark for us. Let me know if you think this would be useful.

98 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 09:00

I'd certainly be interested in the results.  Being able to provide test results during a physical vs. virtual discussion would certainly be a feather in anyone's cap.

225 Posts

August 24th, 2011 20:00

I am not only interested in the performance results but also interested in VMware and storage tuning to agile with database requirement, since I believe OLTP system should be a Cache-friendly and CPU-sensitive system, how do we lower bare lay impacting with Physical CPU/RAM converting to vCPU/vRAM, OLAP system is IO bandwidth sensitive system, but VMware FS is clustering FS with lots of lock, do we have any improvement on it?

Eddy

No Events found!