Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 13:00

Cannot Register Event on Device

I'm seeing "Cannot register a device event automatically" for all the servers I've configured so far.  The DRAC account I'm using for IPMI has IPMI administrator rights and DRAC configuration rights.  Any idea what's causing this?

September 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi Eddie, did you ever get an answer on this?  I'm having the same problem.

Thanks,

Mike

September 17th, 2012 04:00

Couple of reasons for the problem:

1. Make sure Windows SNMP Trap should be installed and running on the system where Power Center resides. See SNMPTrapService.JPG

2. ”iDRAC Enabled Alerts” in iDRAC needs to be enabled from iDRAC console.  Below is the steps for doing this in 12G and 11G servers.

Steps to enable alert through Idrac7 console (12G servers)

1. Enable “Alerts” and make sure check boxes of “Alerts Filter” are marked (12G-1.jpg)

2. Mark “IPMI Alert” for OMPC interested Category, including FAN, CPU, Power Unit and Power Supply. Mark all categories is also a recommendation.

3. Make sure there is at least one empty slot in “IPV4  Destination“ (12G-3.jpeg” ).

Steps to enable alert through Idrac6 console (11G servers)

1. Enable platform event filter alerts and mark “Generate Alert” for all events (11G-1.jpg)

2. Make sure there is at least one empty slot  in “Ipv4 Destination List” (11G-2.jpg)

Hai.

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 14:00

I'm still seeing the "Cannot register a device event automatically" for all my G11 Servers in Dell Power Center v1.2.  

As per suggestions above:

- The iDRAC account I'm using for IPMI has IPMI administrator rights and iDRAC configuration rights.

- I have enabled SNMP on the Power Center Server.  

- On the iDRAC I have ensured that enabled Platform Event Filters is selected, that all fields are   marked to Generate Alert, and there is at least one empty slot in the Ipv4 Destination list.

Is there anything else I can do to stop these events?

Thanks,

Rich.

18 Posts

January 8th, 2013 07:00

Rich,

You can temporarily delete these events from the event log.

Do you know the version of iDRAC firmware on your systems?  Also send me an e-mail to hai_phung@dell.com.  I will need to collect the log files from your OMPC.

Hai.

8 Posts

January 8th, 2013 14:00

Hi Hai,

Yes, I realise I can remove these events from the event log, but that won’t stop new “Cannot register Event on Device” events from being re-generated.  

Our iDRAC firmware is currently at 1.92 (Build 5) and our System BIOS at 1.11.0 for all R510 and T410 servers in our fleet.

Rich.

18 Posts

January 17th, 2013 07:00

Power Center registers and check the iDRAC event channel during th ediscovery process.  Discover the servers again after following th steps that posted previously by Lori.

615 Posts

July 10th, 2013 23:00

Seeing this alert for pretty much all my servers in OMPC as well.

My gen12 drac are at 1.40.40 and all are checked in filter but there are no OMPC interested Category listed on all 13 pages of alert options to check the impi checkboxes for them.

What am I missing?

The only categories and severities listed in the event filter are:

System Health

Storage

Configuration

Audit

Updates

Work Notes

Informational

Warning

Critical

And they are all checked.

18 Posts

July 11th, 2013 06:00

Have you check the following steps that posted previously for this issue?  I notice you mentioned the step2 in "enable alert through iDRAC" is done, but have you checked the remaining steps?

Couple of reasons for the problem:

1. Make sure Windows SNMP Trap should be installed and running on the system where Power Center resides.

2. ”iDRAC Enabled Alerts” in iDRAC needs to be enabled from iDRAC console. Below is the steps for doing this in 12G servers.

Steps to enable alert through Idrac7 console (12G servers)

1. Enable “Alerts” and make sure check boxes of “Alerts Filter” are marked (12G-1.jpg)

2. Mark “IPMI Alert” for OMPC interested Category, including FAN, CPU, Power Unit and Power Supply. Mark all categories is also a recommendation.

3. Make sure there is at least one empty slot in “IPV4 Destination“ (12G-3.jpeg” ).

615 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

And yes OMPC is on the same sever as OME and trap test in OMPC is successful to the trap on same server.

615 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

All drac alerts work fine for receipt in OME at the trap destination on the OME server so yes that part is working fine.

This part as I mentioned does not seem applicable in 12G drac as per my pervious post:

"2. Mark “IPMI Alert” for OMPC interested Category, including FAN, CPU, Power Unit and Power Supply"

18 Posts

July 11th, 2013 11:00

What version of ompc are you using?

615 Posts

July 11th, 2013 11:00

LICENSING

Product Name

OPENMANAGE POWER CENTER

Version

License Type

PERPETUAL

Status

VALID

18 Posts

July 11th, 2013 22:00

Check the following:

1. Make sure Windows “SNMP Trap” service is started.
  2. Restart "Dell OpenManage Power Center SNMP Dispatcher" service
  3. Make sure "DCMServer.exe" is listening on UDP port 1162.  You can check this via Windows command line "netstat -p udp -a -bn"
No Events found!