Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

H

1 Message

April 20th, 2023 12:00

Poweredge 740 - Fans Stuck at Maximum Speed

Hello,

I recently acquired a Poweredge 740 server. When powered on the fans immediately and permanently run at maximum speed (16k+ rpm). I have looked at other discussions of similar problems but their solutions have not yet worked for me.

In IDRAC the thermal setting is performance per watt as recommended but the minimum fan speed setting cannot be changed from 100. The range is 100-100. I believe this is indicative of somekind of software or firmware issue but do not know.

Using the lifecycle controller I have ran hardware diagnostics and everything (including temperatures) is fine.

As recommended in other discussions I have updated the IDRAC version from 6.0.XX to 6.10.30.20 as 6.0.XX is known to have some fan control issues. This did not help. The only idea I have now is to revert the IDRAC version all the way back to 5.10.XX but I am basically feeling around in the dark at this point.

Any advice?

• 

3.4K Posts

April 21st, 2023 02:00

Are you sure that there is no other problem on the IDRAC? That is not normal that FAN goes at maximum speed and remains like this. 

Did you updated BIOS also at the last version?

Not sure that downgrading firmware it solves the issue.

Did you tried to reset iDRAC too?

Thanks

5 Posts

August 5th, 2023 20:00

did you fix this? if so how? thanks

No Events found!