Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SC

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 07:00

Server Dell R520 Fan spinning at Full speed

The FANs of my Dell R520 started running at high speedy without any change. It was quite and I've heard the fan oscillating without any reason, the air conditioner was about 21 Celsius degree. I' ve rebooted it to see if it was a occasional issue, but after the reboot, the FAN came back producing a high noise again. I've checked the Idrac and everything is normal, power, cpu, fan, tempature. My IDRAC firmware is 2.41.41.40 and the rollback is 1.66.65.00 How can I fix that.?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 10:00

Hello

The iDRAC controls fan speeds based on profiles. If the iDRAC is not functioning properly then the fans should run at maximum RPM. Max RPM should be somewhere around 13-15k RPM. If the fans are running at max RPM then I suggest troubleshooting the iDRAC to make sure it is working correctly. I think there are available firmware updates that you should install.

If the fan speed increased after a hardware change then there is not likely an issue. The minimum fan speed will increase based on installed hardware. You should review the hardware log for any errors that may affect fan speeds.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

March 22nd, 2019 11:00

in fact, there is another version of firmware, I am not sure if I upgrade it or rollback to the older version that I still have it on the IDRAC. What do you think would be better. upgrade or rollback. ? thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 16:00

Your installed version is 2.41, the rollback version is 1.66. You do not want to roll back. The rollback version is the version you had installed before 2.41. I would download and install the latest version.

No Events found!