Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2013 01:00

Dell PowerEdge T620 performs power characterization at each boot

Hello everybody,

We purchased a Dell PowerEdge T620 and a Dell UPS Tower 1920W HV. The server is connected to the UPS by USB cable and is shut down by the UPS every evening. The UPS is scheduled to start every morning. The server then boots automatically because its "AC Power Recovery" option is set to ON (with a user defined "AC Power Recovery Delay" of 60 seconds). This configuration works fine so far except for one point:

Every time that the server is shut down by the UPS, it performs a power characterization on the following boot. The message is as follows:

"System configuration or settings have changed. Performing power characterization to optimize for this new configuration. Note: The system will reset after characterization has completed."

Because of the above message and the reset, the boot process takes much longer (about 5-6 minutes). I'm quite sure that this is not the normal behavior...

This problem doesn't occur when I reboot or shutdown the server manually.

I hope that you can help me to get rid of this issue.

Cheers

• 

166 Posts

April 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi adesIT

It seems this error is related to the bios.

"ICS is a 12G BIOS feature that optimizes the ratio of power and performance of a system. When set to enabled in the BIOS, ICS will normally run when power related changes are made in BIOS or with hardware changes."

Your server currently running on which bios version?

If it is not the latest, please update this:-

v 1.5.3

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-t620

Let us know how it goes.

7 Posts

April 24th, 2013 08:00

Of course I could just disable In-System Characterization, but that doesn't solve the initial problem that some configuration or setting seems to be changed after a shutdown by the UPS (btw, we use Dell UPS Management Software, not the newer ULNM).

Hope that helps as additional information.

Cheers

• 

166 Posts

April 24th, 2013 21:00

Hi adesIT

Since you said you can disable the In-System Characterization, have you tried that?

Does that resolve the issue?

Let us know please.

7 Posts

April 24th, 2013 22:00

Hello Manfred,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I tried to disable the In-System Characterization and it works fine now. I guess as long as I don't add or remove any hardware it should be OK to leave it like that. But it would still interest me to know what causes the system to perform power characterization when it has been shut down by the UPS.

Cheers

7 Posts

April 26th, 2013 01:00

Hello Manfred,

I was indeed still running the BIOS version 1.0.4. After updating to 1.5.3, everything works fine now!

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers

No Events found!