Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2012 01:00

PE830 stops during bootup and waits for F1

Hi all,

An client's PE830 has a boot problem. It's been working fine since its install in '05 but now doesn't want to boot up without a keystrike from a user. Which is a pain, as you can imagine. This has been going on for some months but they've just now asked me to fix it.

Specifically, during the boot process, it stops and displays:

"Press for BMS Setup within 5 sec.....
 Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup"

Obviously the BMS Setup line is normal, so it's stopping at the end of the boot process.
I think this is telling me there's been an error or change during boot, but I can't find it. Here's a photo of the screen.
I've found another post in the community saying that there's an option in BIOS I can toggle, (Stop on error) but I've looked all over the BIOS and I can't find it.
Also, if it's telling there's an error, I should try and find it rather than ignore it, I would think.

No obvious error messages either on that screen or earlier boot screens. No changes, no Windows crashes. Am somewhat foxed.

Any help gratefully received,

Will

• 

8.4K Posts

May 14th, 2012 07:00

Will,

The F1 F2 prompt is generally from something in the BIOS is enabled, but not present in the server. Or, it is a device that is installed that isn't enabled in the BIOS.

I am not sure the configuration of your server so I will give you a couple things to look for.

Open the server and verify if you have anything on the SATA ports, then verify if there is a SATA port on, with nothing attached or vice versa.

Let me know what you find.

24 Posts

May 16th, 2012 02:00

Thanks Chris. Was an unknown IDE device, fixed it immediately.

No Events found!