Highlighted

PowerEdge 1800 Amber alert light

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked 100s of times - I have been through the first half a dozen pages or so of the forum.

Our main DC is a Dell Power Edge 1800 and in the past week the amber alert light has started flashing on the front panel.

How do I discover which problem it's reporting? From what I can see both power supplies are running (well they both spin and have green LEDs on them) and the server is located in a server room with 2 x AC units which should be cool enough.

Disk maybe?

Any advice, links, etc greatfully recieved!
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: PowerEdge 1800 Amber alert light

This can be anything health related on the server.  You  should load the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator.  This will allow you to view the server health logs.
0 Kudos

Hi, had a look at open manage and the only alert that I can see is that the SATA controller firmware is out of date - but would that cause the amber light? And if so it must have _always_ been out of date?

Have installed updated firmware and am just waiting till lunch to schedule a reboot.

Will wait and see I guess!
0 Kudos

Nope, installed firmware and rebooted server today and amber light is still there.

Open Manage now has no errors!

I do have an event log error 11 in the log;

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1

Does this indicate that I have a SCSI controller/termination issue?
0 Kudos

Click on Main system chassis and then on the Health Log link in the right hand window.
0 Kudos

All green ticks...
0 Kudos

Run this program: ftp://dropbox.us.dell.com/dropbox2/ips/DSET/DSET-Windows/Dell_DSET_1.3.exe

Choose "Create report only".  When the options screen comes up check off advanced reports and nothing else.

It will create a .zip file on the desktop of the server - email it to me: mark_a_smith@dell.com

0 Kudos

It's on it's way....thanks for having a look!
0 Kudos

This was in your health log:

Mon Sep 04 13:51:17 2006PROC Machine Chk processor sensor transitioned to non-recoverable

Troubleshooting for this type of issue:

Swap your processors (if you only have one then reseat it)
Clear the hardware log and monitor ( you can rerun the DSET utility - one of the install options is to clear the hardware log)

0 Kudos

Thanks Mark,

Will try this on Monday and report back!
0 Kudos