Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2012 11:00

PowerEdge 2970 - Bios upgrade help

Hi, 

I am planning to install ESXi 5.1 and I would like to upgrade the BIOS from 1.5.4 to the latest one. Others have suggested that I should upgrade any other firmware from the system (bmc and drac). I checked Dell Drivers website and I downloaded the BIOS.

I am trying to figure out how to upgrade the bios on a PowerEdge 2070. I burn a cd but that did not work, I also tried using a bootable USB (using Unbetbootin) it recognizes it but nothing happens. Does anyone have a better idea/suggestions on how to upgrade the BIOS and the other hardware firmware?

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 1st, 2012 12:00

Well, if you have a really good Internet connection, then the easiest way is to download SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility) and SUU (Server Update Utility) ... boot to SBUU, choose Update Firmware, then insert the SUU DVD (must be dual-layer DVD or USB) when prompted for the repository.

You could also install Server 2008 (which only takes 15 minutes), then update each individually from Windows.

27 Posts

November 1st, 2012 13:00

when creating a bootable USB, are you downloading and attempting to install the "non packaged" versions? I know my bootable thumb drives come up with a handy:  C: _  prompt at the end of post. so I would  say "C: PE2970~1.exe"  and this would run the non packaged .exe. anything other then the non packaged will not work from USB.

Could also break out the old usb floppy drive and install the " Floppy" version of the file.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 09:00

I was able to download the SBUU and burn it into a dvd, I also downloaded SUU and made a bootable USB. I first loaded the DVD (with SBUU) a Dell menu came up I selected the first option, a progress bar came up, after a few minutes the screen went blank but the server did not restart. I am going to leave it for about an hour to see if it's doing anything.

Thank you for your suggestions.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 11:00

Update: The suggestion helped. I was able to upgrade everything.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 11:00

Cool ... glad to hear it.

No Events found!