Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 16th, 2018 04:00

R710 Hardware Upgrade Help

Hey Guys,

i have a little R710 running 2x 5520 CPUs, 96GB of ram, 1x PSU (VMware HyperVisor) but i need to give it a hardware overhaul so its fit for purpose..

My thinking, jump to a pair of 6 core cpus (5600 range) boast upto 128Gb ram, dual PSU etc..

though i have some questions,

I know to use the full 128gb ram i need an additional PSU, needed anyway, but will i need the higher power PSU's ?

the CPU upgrade, will i need specific coolers for the chips ? trying to keep costs down and have found a few fleabay chips for not bad prices, but obviously no coolers, i assume being 6 core they will need more cooling than the stock ones i have for the currrent 5520 chips, can anyone confirm for me please ?

i havent been able to find any hardware matrix details which would help me find what i would need.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

311 Posts

February 16th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thank you,

311 Posts

February 16th, 2018 13:00

Thank you for the service tag.

I believe you will be close to needing the upgraded power supply, but as there isn't a matrix I wouldn't be able to confirm that. The reason there isn't a matrix is that there are far too many variables to consider (processors, expansion cards, controller, drives, memory, etc) . The processors will require the heatsink, but depending on the processor chosen there are different heatsinks. Such as, if you get the Everest X5698 processor you would need the p/n 05MXJ heatsink, where the others should use the p/n TY129 heatsink.
Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!