Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

March 20th, 2017 01:00

SATA Raid Card

I have a PE T610 Server with an integrated PERC H700 Raid controller card, but I want to add another Raid card for an additional array containing 2 x SSD Drives.

I have tried adding another PERC H700 Raid controller card to one of the PCI-E slots on the motherboard and using a SAS mini connector to 4 x Sata cable, but although the controller card is recognised by the BIOS it doesn't recognise any drives are connected, I've also tried it with 2 normal Sata drives.

Do I need to fit a Dell PERC card or can someone recommend a Sata Raid controller card that will work in a PE T610

• 

8.5K Posts

March 20th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

Do you not have any additional slots for the SSDs? The existing H700 can have more than one array. 

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

March 21st, 2017 01:00

I have used all 8 drive slots for a Raid 10 Array, hence the reason for fitting another H700 in a PCI-E slot on the motherboard, it's annoying that the extra card is recognised by the Bios, it just doesn't recognise any drives attached to it and I'm thinking the card is possibly faulty.

I'm fairly certain that as long as the Raid card is recognised by the Bios, you could any Raid Card.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 21st, 2017 09:00

Do you know what version of the card that you have. PERCs have two versions, integrated and adapter. Integrated cards only work in the storage slot and adapter cards only work in normal PCIe slots. How are you providing power to the drives?

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 02:00

The card I've installed does have a mounting bracket, so I assumed it was to fit in a PCI-E slot, there is aslo some small writing on the card that says 'PCIEX8', which suggests it is to fit in a PCI-E slot.

I'm supplying power to the Sata drives from an adapter cable connected to the main power supply.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 07:00

Can you get into the controller and go to the controller management page?It may tell us which type of controller it is. 

No Events found!