Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2018 03:00

The Virtual Disk has bad blocks on Poweredge r720

i have Raid-5 config with 3 HD(3TB) and 1 Hotspare. I already run Consistency check but still after running, bad blocks persist. Is it safe now to run "Clear Virtual disk Bad Blocks"??? Right now the Read Patrol is still running.

I am planning to replace the disk with Bad Blocks but i cannot pinpoint the disk with bad blocks as status of all disk are OK and online. In the logs this is what i saw,"Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key: 1 Sense code: 0 Sense qualifier: 0:" on Physical disk 0:1:0 and Physical disk 0:1:2.

Does this mean Physical disk 0:1:0 and Physical disk 0:1:2 are the disk wit bad blocks?? or How to pinpoint the disk with Bad blocks??

I cannot perform the backup as the backup exec fails even after running consistency check.

Help please....

311 Posts

February 8th, 2018 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for the controller log. I see that drive 1 failed due to timeouts back in November and was replaced by the hot spare. Drive 1 was then copyback by drive 3 which was the hot spare and inserted back into the virtual drive. There weren't any errors being reported on drive 1. The timeouts could be caused by another drive. Drive 0 has had several block errors (sense code 3:11:0 Medium Error - unrecovered read error)  and continues to do so. it will probably go predictive fail in the future after enough errors occur. You can wait for the drive to go predictive fail and replace at that point or proactively replace. Seeing that the medium error is being recovered. "Corrected medium error during recovery on PD 00".

311 Posts

February 9th, 2018 10:00

HI,

Correct, drive is 0:1:0. "CLEAR Virtual Bad blocks"  is safe to perform. The bad blocks will be quarantined. Hard drives intentionally have extra space to accommodate bad blocks. 

311 Posts

February 6th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

Can you please let me know what controller you have? If your controller supports a TTY log, please attach a copy to your post. Here is a link for pulling a log.

www.dell.com/support/article/sln249450/

Thank you,

33 Posts

February 7th, 2018 06:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much...It is Perc H710 mini.

regards

311 Posts

February 7th, 2018 07:00

Unfortunately I am unable to go to that link.

311 Posts

Morning,

Please let me know your email and I will set up a lock box you can transfer the files to.

Thanks,

33 Posts

Thanks Jim,

regards

33 Posts

Hi Jim,

in my previous response I shared the link to where you can view the file...

thanks again...

33 Posts

February 8th, 2018 06:00

Hi jim,

hopefully you had received the tty log file...

Thanks and best regards

33 Posts

February 9th, 2018 02:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks...are you referring to Physical Disk 0:1:0??  it has a lot of error;

"Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key: 1 Sense code: 0 Sense qualifier: 0: Physical Disk 0:1:0 Controller 0, Connector 0"

I am planning to replace Physical Disk 0:1:0 (i will manually make it offline so that the Hotspare will takeover) and eventually put a new disk.

Hopefully after replacing the disk the "Virtual Disk bad blocks" will disappear. If the bad blocks will not disappear, is it safe to "CLEAR Virtual Bad blocks" from Dell Open Manage???

I run the "Consistency check" last Feb 4 and it was successful and Pass and then run the "Patrol Read" last feb 5 but until now the Patrol Read is still running... Is it OK to Stop the Patrol Read???

Thanks you very much...

33 Posts

February 9th, 2018 22:00

Thanks again Jim...i will keep you posted with the update...

right now it's rebuilding on process as i took disk 0:1:0 Offline and the hotspare took over...

thanks....thanks

33 Posts

February 12th, 2018 21:00

Thank Jim, I replaced the disk but still after replacing the disk the "Bad Blocks" still appear. I then go ahead executed the "Clear bad Blocks" from Dell Open Manage and the Bad blocks is gone now.

The Backup now runs successfully.

Thanks...thanks...thanks

4 Posts

October 15th, 2018 18:00

hmmm.. I can see where you would want to Clear Bad Blocks after replacing the drive. But would you want to do this otherwise? As you say, Hard drives intentionally have extra space to accommodate bad blocks. Seems like clearing that list would be a bad idea. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what this does
No Events found!