Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2004 13:00

WTD: Photos of the inside of a Dell PE650

Ive recently acquired a second hand Dell PE650. Unfortunatly it was used as a spares box for several others and some bits are missing and i dont have any other 650`s for reference.

Ive managed to get most parts, but the following parts are still missing, i`m going to attempt to contact the parts department for these, but in the past if the box is out of warrenty (which is is) dell dont want to know and just want to sell you a replacement.

Basically what i would like is for someone to take a pic of these parts (close enough to see some detail) so that i can make them my self. They are only simple cables and i have the parts, so this shouldnt be an issue.

1) The P4 power connector from the back plane to the main board (4 pins carries 12v, but what are the pin-to-pin connections?)

2) The Floppy / CD data cable (its a 68pin scsi cable, but is it flipped, twisted or anything ?)

3) The power cables for the HDDs. (they appear to be some strange small connector)

Pics, and / or pinouts of these three things would be great.

Doesnt need to be an in-depth documentary..

Just pop the lid and take a few snaps of the appropriate cables would do.

Thanks.

Message Edited by AdrianRCL on 09-27-2004 03:43 PM

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 29th, 2004 01:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe650/

It would be helpful if you have the service tag from the machine.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2004 09:00

The actual Dell tag appears to be missing.. The box itself is rather battered so it must have gotten scraped off at some point, but the innards look in functional condition.

However, i`m at a loss as to why the tag would ne required.  I dont want a picture of THIS EXACT machine, i want one of a SIMILAR one.   Surely a PE650 is a PE650 (with a few minor variations like CPU, RAM, and HDD)

Also that link doesnt really tell me anything i dont already know, i need closups of these three connectors / cables.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 29th, 2004 10:00

@AdrianRCL wrote:

The actual Dell tag appears to be missing.. The box itself is rather battered so it must have gotten scraped off at some point, but the innards look in functional condition.

However, i`m at a loss as to why the tag would ne required.  I dont want a picture of THIS EXACT machine, i want one of a SIMILAR one.   Surely a PE650 is a PE650 (with a few minor variations like CPU, RAM, and HDD)

Also that link doesnt really tell me anything i dont already know, i need closups of these three connectors / cables.

No tickey no washy.

If the system boots into CMOS setup the service tag should be there.

Dell is unlikely to sell you any parts without this information.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 29th, 2004 10:00

Lots of documentation available

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pe650/en/index.htm

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Service manual has pictures but no part numbers.

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pe650/en/sm/index.htm

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pe650/en/sm/remove.htm

The floppy CDROM uses a daughter board.

System board and backplane are sandwiched together.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2004 12:00

"no tickey no washy" 

What the heck is that supposed to mean.

I HAVE NO DELL TAG FOR THIS SYSTEM

The system doesnt POST yet due to missing some key components which are on order and some of the cables...  hence me posting this thread.

I dont see why this is such a huge problem.

I just want a PHOTOGRAPH of the cables in question, preferably while in-situ and free. Your pictures do not show me things like the actual shape of the connector, number of pins, colour of the cables, and where pin one is on each end.

As such they are useless too me.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2004 16:00

So are you telling me, that of the 1097 people CURRENTLY online, and the coutless thousands of people who frequent these forums, that there is no-one who has, or can take, a photo of the inside of a PowerEdge 650 server ?

6 Posts

October 8th, 2004 10:00

It was a "request" not a "demand".

I`m sorry if I come accross rude to you, but I just find it difficult to belive that of the 100`s of thousands of people that visit these forums and many other forums on the net where i posted a similar request, theres no-one out there who is able to help me in my hour of need.  Its getting rather frustrating.  I have a 99% complete server, and its just these few little bits stopping it from being whole.

Despite asking for "photos" everytime, people seem to only want to give me pictures or direct me at the dell documentation. Unless they are very detailed, they are not much use to me.  I need a photo to see what the innards really look like.

Its hardly a massive undertaking to use your camera phone (if you have one), or a digital cam to snap a few quick pics of the innards of the box the next time you are fiddling inside.  I know, I've done if for other people many times on different occasions

32 Posts

October 8th, 2004 10:00

Being less terse and otherwise rude might be a better way of asking.

Demanding things like a high maintenance girlfriend is not going to get you snappy service here.

You probably have alienated your one best hope by being so rude.

Dell support is not going to help you without a service tag.

No Events found!