Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2012 09:00

"foreign disk" - How to remove this error

i have dell 2950 whose having two vds disk 0 & 1 RAID 1 and disk 2,3,4,5 Raid array.

i checked that disk 4 shows amber light . Failed

ok now i replaced it with another drive but it shows me as"foreign disk" someone told me you have to clear this

any steps to removed this ? i have dell perc5i controller and also i am worried which disk is my hot spare disk OMSA unable to show me which disk is hot spare ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 09:00

In OMSA, go to Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of page), then Foreign/Clear from dropdown menu of available tasks for the controller.  Then go to Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, and select Assign Hot-Spare from dropdown menu ... the only drive it should show you is the new one you just put in ... select it to assign it as a hot-spare, then the rebuild should begin shortly.

November 6th, 2012 22:00

well thanks for your reply and it works and we have actually two raid configuration one is raid 1 and other disk are raid 5 so , raid 5 drive was failed so i step which you mentioned but when i try to assign i select hot spare as global hot space not dedicated hot spare is go to ctlr+r and in the vd of raid 5 perfom action and select new drive as hot spare , now it works fine any ways thanks for reply.

No Events found!