Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2004 17:00

1 Drive RAID 0 to 2 Drive RAID 1 Upgrade

Hi,

Hardware:
PE 1750, Perc 4/Di RAID Motherboard driver, 1 system SCSI drive RAID 0.

Just purchased 2nd identical SCSI drive; with Array Manager is it possible to add 2nd hd and migrate primary single RAID 0 to (2) drive RAID 1 ? Without losing data or having to wipe first drive and re-initialize?

Thank You!

September 16th, 2004 21:00

Shut the server down, add the new drive then reboot into the operating system. In array manager, right click on the virtual disk and choose add member. It should present both disks. Select both and select RAID 1. This should create a hardware mirror with the two drives. Below is a link that may help.

add member array manager

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 13:00

Hello, I am in a similar situation, with a PE 2600 and a perc4.di

The document that was linked is no longer there, does anyone have a copy of it.

Also I have been looking for Dell Array Manager 3.4 but cannot find it, I did find Open Manager 5.2.0, will that work?

Thank you,

-Glen

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 13:00

Update: I found the Array Manager files, is it just this easy?

thanks,

-Glen

February 23rd, 2011 14:00

Open Manage should work for this and is the newer version of Array manager, however I would use at least version 5.5. Just make sure you perform a custom install of Open Manage and ensure Storage is selected to install. I included a link below to a video walk through for performing a reconfigure in Open Manage by using the storage serices.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/entvideos/omss-reconfig

In regards to the document linked above I think I found what they had listed here on page 3-6.

5 Posts

Thank you Daniel, that video was really neat. However the link to the PDF seems to be broken, it does not work for me.

Thanks for the quick replies.

-Glen

It is very easy to use but as always a backup is recommended before performing a reconstruct/reconfigure or adding a member to an array.

Seems like my hyperlink didn't work. Here is the direct link.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/spv735n/en/ag/343CX30.pdf

18 Posts

February 24th, 2011 10:00

I am looking to do the same thing with a CERC 1.5/6h. Will I able able to go from a single RAID0 to a 2 drive RAID1 without wiping the OS on the existing RAID0 drive? Thanks, Diego

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 24th, 2011 11:00

Yes, you can:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

18 Posts

February 24th, 2011 11:00

Very informative link, thank you.  The table is very clear cut if I had a CERC ATA/100 with line two showing clearly RAID0 to RAID1 is possible.  However it seems there is an caveat with the CERC 1.5 and it worries me a bit.  It seems to say that I can go to RAID1 from a concatenated disk but not from a RAID0.  The note at the bottom says:

" You can create a concatenated virtual disk by performing a "Split Mirror" or an "Unmirror" on a RAID 1-concatenated virtual disk. After you have done so, however, the resulting concatenated virtual disks cannot be subjected to any further modification. You cannot reconfigure or add disks to the resulting concatenated virtual disks"

Maybe I am reading too much into this but it seems like I need to start out with a "RAID1 concatenated disk".  My disk is just a single drive that used to be part of a RAID1, meaning I consider that I don't have a "RAID1-concatenated drive" but merely a "RAID1" disk. 

What do you think?

Thanks,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 24th, 2011 12:00

There seem to be two different types of RAID 1's referred to and two kinds of actions (Unmirror and Split Mirror), and to be honest ... I don't have any idea what the first one is, where it comes from, or how it would have been set up.  Stuff like this makes me glad I've never actually owned a CERC SATA 1.5/6CH :)  I suspect the more likely and more common would be number 2, in which case, you should be able to Reconfigure.  Worst case scenario:  You had number 1 and it will tell you that you can't Reconfigure it.

1) RAID 1-concatenated virtual disk:

"Doing an Unmirror on a RAID 1-concatenated virtual disk results in a concatenated virtual disk that cannot be subjected to any further modification. You cannot reconfigure or add disks to the resulting concatenated virtual disk."

"Doing a Split Mirror on a RAID 1-concatenated virtual disk results in concatenated virtual disks that cannot be subjected to any further modification.  You cannot reconfigure or add disks to the resulting concatenated virtual disks. "

2) RAID 1 virtual disk:

"If you do an Unmirror on a RAID 1 virtual disk, the resulting concatenated virtual disk can be reconfigured back to a RAID 1 virtual disk. After you have reconfigured to a RAID 1 virtual disk, further reconfiguration may be possible. "

"If you do a Split Mirror on a RAID 1 virtual disk, the resulting concatenated virtual disks can be reconfigured back to a RAID 1 virtual disk. After you have reconfigured to a RAID 1 virtual disk, further reconfiguration may be possible."

18 Posts

February 25th, 2011 10:00

Yes, I believe scenario #2 more likely resembles my situation.  I will try it out this weekend making sure I have some good backups.

Thank you.

Diego

5 Posts

March 4th, 2011 10:00

Hello, I just wanted to update everyone on my experiance.

After I upgraded the Server to Bios A14, and the Perc Firmware to 252D, then installed Array Manager 3.6 (for some reason I couldnt get the software for open management 5.5 to install correctly). I was able to assign my new hard drive to the RAID 0 disk, and change it to a Raid1.

It took about 2 hours for it to rebuild, and then about another 4 for it to finish the background checking, but it worked.

Thanks for all the information & help, I appreciate it.

-Glen

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 4th, 2011 10:00

This works very well on your controller - I would have expected no hiccups there.  The CERC SATA controller that tato is using is not as well-suited for that sort of thing.  Glad you got it working ok though.

On your OMSA 5.5 issue ... do you have SP2 installed on 2003?

No Events found!