Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 24th, 2017 11:00

12G Internal Dual SD Card module help

We have recently installed IDSDM module in our R620 along with 2 16GB Sandisk SD Cards. Occasionally at times, we are receiving random failures on the SD Cards. The SEL log states "Failure detected on Internal Dual SD Module SD'x'". This happens randomly on both the SD cards. Even when replacing the cards with new ones, the same thing occurs randomly. To fix this issue, we are required to power down the server, reseat the SD card and force a rebuild. The SD cards would start working fine after doing so for a random period of time. It's often a problem to rebuild SD cards because it requires a server downtime. Furthermore, the rebuild for a 16GB card takes an hour of time, which is way beyond the downtime that we can afford for a simple failure. Additionally, we would also require physical access to the server which is not always possible in our case.

I had few questions about the IDSDM module.

1. How does the module detect if a card has failed? I am in a doubt as to weather the module is detecting false positive failures with my cards.

2. If a rebuild of the card fails, I am required to re-seat the cards inorder to try the rebuild process again. This involves totally powering down the server and removing the card, which I cannot do unless I have physical access to the server. Is there any way to force the module to restart when the server still has power? I have noticed that the ISDSM firmware update ISO has this functionality wherein it will restart the module without requiring a power cycle. Can you share more details about this?

• 

8.4K Posts

April 24th, 2017 14:00

Dhiru1602,

There does seem to be an issue with the SD modules. I would suggest starting off with making sure the R620 BIOS, iDrac, Lifecycle Controller, and lastly the IDSDM are all up to date. After that then access the iDrac and then format the SD. After that then see if the error reoccurs or not.

Let me know what you see.

• 

8.4K Posts

You will see it under Vflash - SD Card - then Initialize.

48 Posts

All the firmwares are upto date. I don't see any option in the iDRAC to format the SD cards.

48 Posts

April 25th, 2017 03:00

We are having issues with Dell Internal Dual SD Module. Not the iDRAC vFlash.

• 

8.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 12:00

Try running this SD Module update, then let me know if it stops the issues.

1 Message

January 29th, 2018 02:00

Have exactly the same issue. And the only one way to reset this...........IDSM without turning power off is - reupdate this module. After that - the status of SD cards resets. (Unfortunately - this is no another way to reset this module  (((  )

48 Posts

February 19th, 2018 07:00

@FareZ wrote:

Have exactly the same issue. And the only one way to reset this...........IDSM without turning power off is - reupdate this module. After that - the status of SD cards resets. (Unfortunately - this is no another way to reset this module  (((  )

Which brand SD cards are you using and what's the capacity? Have you tried with other brands of SD cards?

1 Message

November 7th, 2018 14:00

I'm trying to update the SD module on an M630 running ESXi 6.5 with the following: https://www.dell.ca/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=FF4WY&osCode=XI65&productCode=poweredge-m630

The installation instructions say the following: *Firmware can only be updated through OS via DUP. Update will be unsuccessful if done through iDRAC or LC.*

How would I go about installing this update on a system running ESXi then?

No Events found!