Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2012 11:00

2950 Raid battery shows failed in OMSA but bios shows no errors on boot.

I have a 2950 that has a Perc 5i.  Original issue was LED with the error: "W1228 ROMB Batt < 24hr" .  Swapped battery with a new battery that I precharged on a test system.  No errors on boot.   After box loads win2k3 it gives error again even after clearing ESM log and rebooting with new battery still shows error on LED and gives error in OMSA that battery is failed.   

Next I swapped the Raid Controller and that cleared the W1228 error.  No errors in bios about battery either on boot.  Go into OMSA and it still shows failed battery.  I have tried two good batteries and both show same issue.   They don't give errros in bios but show failed in OMSA.    Pulled  battery from stock that wasn't precharged and on boot showed error about being discharged.  After 30 minutes rebooted and bios error was cleared.   Which should indicate battery is charging.   Still when I load os and look at OMSA it still shows failed battery with 3 different batteries.  I also swapped battery cable to be sure it was ok. I  Have run SUU and updated all FW and OMSA.

Have no idea where to go from here.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2012 12:00

Did you clear the ESM/hardware Log other than just the first time you mentioned it?  If firmware and OMSA are up to date, you should try clearing OMSA with each combination of controller/battery swap.  Try giving the battery 24 hours to update its charge/status.

4 Posts

April 29th, 2012 15:00

Cleared logs before each reboot.

1 Message

January 28th, 2013 12:00

Was this ever resolved?

I have 2 DELL PE2950s with same error - W1228 ROMB.

Swapped ROMB Battery with another PE2950 and the error remains on the original failed PE2950 but ROMB Battery Passes on the known good 2950.The error did not follow the ROMB battery. The W1228 Error does not go away after SUU Updates to Firmware and BIOS.

Suggestions?

39 Posts

August 16th, 2013 23:00

Seems like nobody wants to say for sure 'what' the issue is. I am having the same issue. Ultimately, it looks to be possibly a fault with motherboard or, not sure how this could be, but... memory maybe? I can move my batteries to known good 2950 and no problems, so batteries are good, cables are good, firmware, bios, microcode, all is updated, have swapped PERC 5/i cards and it makes no difference, so it's not the storage controller card.

Symptoms are as follows:

1) Battery - status: KNOWN GOOD

2) Storage card - status: KNOWN GOOD

3) Cables - status: KNOWN GOOD

4) 2950 display panel - ALL CLEAR - NO ERRORS

5) OMSA - Battery shows - "failed" and/or, once I swapped, it shows "failed [and] missing."

Alternatively, it could be just an OMSA UI issue ???? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

I mean, if the battery is good & storage card is good, then OMSA is out-of-whack, right? (or, as I said, possibly mobo or memory)?

13 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

I'd say not to worry and to add, I've replaced the battery on a few of our servers with this error and the battery made no difference, server was fully updated to (drivers, firmware etc).

Just wish I could clear the error from the front display as it is irritating.

No Events found!