gkd
1 Nickel

Ability to automate PERC disk configuration?

I'm looking for a way to automate configuring of the internal disk array on an R710 or T710. We currently do this manually by intercepting the system boot sequence (in the IDRAC's Virtual Console (KVM) window) with a ctrl-R to enter the PERC H700 Integrated BIOS Configuration Utility. We then Create New VD, pick RAID level, select Physical Disks, etc., to set up our disk array. Since I need to change the configuration occasionally, I would like to be able to automate these steps. I found some info in a post to the Dell Enterprise Technology Center forum, but didn't get a response to my follow-up question there. The info was a pointer to the Dell Open Manage Deployment Tool Kit. Skimming the document, it sounds like it has a chance of letting me script up these actions. I didn't go through them in detail since it's going to take me a little more time to digest. But, if it's thought that this method will do what I need, I'll dig into it more deeply. I would also like to be able to script up the creation of boot entries in UEFI Boot Manager (from F11 during booting). Is disk setup and boot entry thought to be able to be made (almost single/few) push button? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sshroot_23
1 Copper

Re: Ability to automate PERC disk configuration?

Did you get any solution for this?
0 Kudos

Re: Ability to automate PERC disk configuration?

Hey SSHroot,

There are a few ways you could go about this, some easier than others. A tool like OpenManage Essentials or OpenManage Enterprise is what we have for managing servers at scale, but if you specifically need to build a script, then writing a script leveraging racadm commands might be your next best option. There are numerous entries for various commands, but page 111 of the user guide is where they get started.

Guide: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/integrated-dell-remote-access-cntrllr-8-with-lifecycle-controller-v2...

There are other options, like importing or exporting a server profile that may be better, depending on the end goal and starting point. If you can elaborate on what you're looking for, I'm happy to help locate something.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos