Highlighted
NDR_91
1 Nickel

Add Disk to Existing RAID 5 - PowerEdge T420 (PERC H710)

Hello!,

First of all, thanks for the help!.

Here i have 2 poweredge T420, one with vsphere and the other with ws. In the first one I was able to add disks without problems to the existing raid, but in the second one i'm seeing a problem.

The configuration is 3 SAS Disk on RAID 5 and I want to add 2 disks.

In the BIOS I see the option to add the disk disabled, and via OMSA the option to reconfigure doesn't appear.

The only thing that I see differently is in one of the servers, the poweredge with vsphere, i have only 1 virtual disk, while in the other I see 2 Virtual disk. 

This one has VIRTUAL DISK 0 (1,843.20GB) and VIRTUAL DISK 1 (18.80GB) , I don't know why (this has not been generated by me), but apparently the virtual disk1 is not in use.

This difference can be the limitation to add a disk to the existing raid?. if this is correct, can I erase the virtual disk 1 and try to add disks without loss of data ?.

Thank you.

best regards.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Add Disk to Existing RAID 5 - PowerEdge T420 (PERC H710)

Hi,

Which RAID controller are you using? I think you correctly identified the problem as there are two virtual disks on the same set of drives. This will prevent the drives from being able to be reconfigured. Is there data on both of the virtual disks?

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
NDR_91
1 Nickel

Hi Josh, 
Thanks for your answer.

The RAID controller is PERC H710. We only use the VirtualDisk0, this contains the operating system and several virtual machines in Hyper V. The VirtualDisk1 have a partition generated in ws but it doesn't have data inside.

Best Regards,

NDR.

0 Kudos

In that case just delete virtual disk 1 and you should be able to expand Virtual disk 0.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
NDR_91
1 Nickel

Ok!, i will try that,

Thank you Josh.

0 Kudos