Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Adding a Disk to a RAID 5 Array

Hello.  I have a PowerEdge R720XD with 4 disks in a hardware RAID 5 Array (#4 is a hot spare, so it is not included in the array itself).  I want to add another disk to the array to increase the useable size, while keeping one hot spare and RAID 5.  OS is Server 2012 Standard (which probably doesn't matter for this conversation)

I installed a new disk (same as the others) into the server.  When I access the Lifecycle Controller, I don't see any option to add a disk to the RAID array.  When I go through the RAID configuration, it looks like reconfiguring the array would destroy the existing array and create a new one, which I would think would destroy my data.  Would reconfiguring the array this way delete all of my data on the existing array?

Does anyone know if I can add a disk to the array without losing my existing data?  And if so, how do I accomplish this? 

• 

8.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 10:00

It should work with production servers, but it would be best to schedule it for the lightest part of the day as it will impact performance. When doing it on a production machine do a backup first in case there is any unexpected power failure or other event that would interrupt it and possibly cause array corruption.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"Looks like it will take awhile.  At this point, this is just a test server, but it will be a file server soon.  If I had to do this process while it was in a production environment, servicing clients, would it be able to handle file serving and reconfiguring at the same time?  I know this is probably not recommended"

A reconfigure will have a very similar affect on the server as rebuilding a failed/replacement drive - can take several minutes to several hours, even days (depends on drive type, speed, and size), and there will be a slightly-noticeable to disruptive degradation in performance (depending on number users, amount of use, size/type of files, drive speed/type, etc.).  So, while the controller can handle both operations at once, you need to weigh the degraded performance against demand and plan the operation accordingly.

4 Posts

OK.  I'll try this out and let you know.  Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

You can reconfigure the array with our server management software, Openmanage Server Administrator.  

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01540715M/1/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.3.0-350_A00.exe

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/dell-opnmang-srvr-admin-v7.2_User%27s%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

page 203

4 Posts

So this process seems similar to the Lifecycle Controller only it appears to have many more options.  I have begun the reconfigure process.  Looks like it will take awhile.  At this point, this is just a test server, but it will be a file server soon.  If I had to do this process while it was in a production environment, servicing clients, would it be able to handle file serving and reconfiguring at the same time?  I know this is probably not recommended, but I'm curious.  I'm sure I will have to add another drive in the future.  Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"OS is Server 2012 Standard (which probably doesn't matter for this conversation)"

It isn't irrelevant ... it is a supported OS for running OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator), from which the reconfigure can be performed.

If you don't have OMSA installed, get it from here:

ftp.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.3.0-350_A00.exe

Download and run to extract files, then run C:\Openmanage\windows\setup.exe.  Add yourservernameoripaddress:1311 to IE's Intranet Zone.

Once installed, open it, then go to Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, and Reconfigure from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the RAID 5.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Thanks a lot guys.  I appreciate the help.  

1 Message

January 12th, 2019 12:00

My virtual disk currently has 3 drive in a RAID 5.  I am trying to add 2 additional drives to expand the capacity.  When I select "reconfigure" in the Dell OpenManage Admin and go thru the wizard... the new drives are not available for selection in the first step.  They do show up as ready under the physical disk menu.  What am I doing wrong?

No Events found!