Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2009 05:00

Adding a PowerEdge SDS 100 cabinet to a PowerEdge 2400 Server

I have purchased a used PowerEdge 2400 for my church. I am running Windows 2003 Server Standard and need to add storage (disk) space, which I want to be RAID 5.  I purchased a used cabinet labeled PowerEdge SDS 100 which was purported to be operational with 9 GB drives in it.  I have finally identified this device from the Express Service code and downloaded the manual for it. 

I have purchased a bunch of HH (1.6") 73GB/10K drives, which will fit in this cabinet. 

Question 1:  Assuming the cabinet and all the drives I have, work, can I connect this to the existing internal RAID controller on my server and use it for storage? 

Question 2:  Is an SMB cable required to run this cabinet?

Question 2A: If not, can I add a SCSI RAID controller that will allow me to connect this cabinet? 

Statement:  If the results of Questions 1 and 2 mean I can't use the equipment, I know where you can obtain several 72 GB SCSI drives and a PowerEdge SDS 100 cabinet for a really good price!

Statement:  I also have added a DELL Benchmark DSL drive (40/80 GB) and it works, at least the diagnostics can read and write tapes.  I have downloaded trial software from some major companies and their software see the drive and can backup to it. NTBackup does not see it as a TAPE device. 

Question 3:  What piece of driver software am I missing that will enable me to use this drive for backup using NTBackup?  Our church doesn't have the money to purchase a $500 piece of backup software.

Sincerely,

The IT guy from NewCovenant

No Responses!
No Events found!