Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2013 00:00

Adding disks to existing raid 5 on Poweredge r610

Hi !

I have Dell Poweredge R610 , with esxi 5.0 installed on it.

I need to add 2 disks to my existing raid 5. I read that the raid array supports the Online Capacity Expansion. 
The problem is that I cannot access the raid manager because I cant install the Dell OpenManage on my esxi, and its only possible to do that on VCenter, which I don't have.

I cannot do it from iDrac (do I wrong?) and cant afford downtime for more than 10 hours.

If I access the raid management from boot, and add the disks to the array, should I wait until the raid will rebuilt? 

• 

8.4K Posts

June 17th, 2013 07:00

NST,

You can't extend an array from within the controller, only OMSA and tools.

While it is true you can install using Vsphere, there are other ways to load the OMSA VIB. You can also download the VI remote CLI tool, if you enter the ip of the host on the ESXi Welcome page that comes up is a link on the right hand side.

Download the CLI tool if not already installed. Download this (VIB file) - en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

After that you can install the VIB bundle like this -

1. Copy the OMSA 6.5 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/ )

2. Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server software vib install –d

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.10.10.10 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

3. Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Now the VIB is loaded on the host.

To Use -

1. Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

2. On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

3. When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

You can then launch with icon on desktop, enter host ip and login information.  Accept certificate and your done installing OMSA.

Then you can access the controller page, then VD on OMSA and reconfigure with new drives to extend.

I am also emailing a detailed walkthrough to your email.

Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 17th, 2013 07:00

No, the iDRAC cannot do this, but you also do not need to have it down for 10 hours.  You only need it down long enough to START the expansion - it will finish while the system is live and operational (although in a slightly degraded state).

This cannot be done from the RAID BIOS either (depending on your controller and firmware level).

Which controller are you using?

I'm sure someone can comment on whether/how to run OMSA in your setup.

8 Posts

June 18th, 2013 06:00

Thanks a lot Chris!
It really helped me:)

Meanwhile, the raid rebuilt itself. 

8 Posts

June 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

I use the H700 controller.

Anyway I used Chris' tutorial and it seems to be working.

1 Message

September 27th, 2013 09:00

Hi Chris,

I followed the procedure described in your post but still not able to complete the process. Can you forward me the details you sent to the other users by email?

Currently my Dell R610 is running ESXi 4.1 with OMSA 6.5 installed. I'm able to login to omsa console from VCenter. However when I install the tools on my computer I just receive authentication errors when trying to access the host. Any Idea?

Thanks,

Matías

1 Message

June 17th, 2015 18:00

Chris,

Can you please email me the detailed walkthrough as well? I have to perform this on Friday of this week.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 17th, 2015 22:00

Chris, can we just post this (here or as a support article), so we don't have a dead-end post ending in an emailed solution that might not always be available to users?

• 

8.4K Posts

June 18th, 2015 13:00

No Events found!