Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2012 06:00

Adding drive to T410 Raid 5

I have a Poweredge T410 with the H700 controller.  I have two 250GB drives configured as Raid 1 and three 2 TB drives configured as Raid 5.  The Raid 5 is partitioned into 2 Virtual disks of 1.8 TB.  I need additional space so I want to add a drive to the existing Raid 5 configuration.  I installed an additional 2 TB drive and the drive is recognized but I only have the option to add it as a hot spare.  How can I add it to the Raid configuration so I can create an additional Virtual Disk.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 09:00

You cannot reconfigure a "sliced" disk group.  You said you have "2 Virtual Disks" ... if this is true, and you have created two RAID 5 arrays across the same set of disks (called slicing), then you cannot reconfigure.  You would have to do a backup restore and delete at least one of the RAID 5's.

If, by "virtual disks", you mean Windows partitions, and you really only have one RAID 5 (Virtual Disk) across the disks, then, yes, this can be done as Chris described.

• 

8.4K Posts

October 10th, 2012 06:00

Orin,

What is the OS on the server? What you need is OMSA (OpenManage Server Admin) installed you would then do a Reconfigure under the Virtual Drives drop down and it would add the drive to that array.

Let me know the OS and I can get you the proper version you will need.

Thanks.

October 10th, 2012 12:00

I already have OMSA installed.  If I select the RAID1 (Virtual Disk 0) I have the reconfigure option but on the RAID 5 I do not have the reconfigure option.  

Does the T410 have a limit on disk size?  I know I have seen some servers with a 6 TB limit but I have not found the specs for the T410.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

No size limit.  Read my post ... you can't do a reconfigure if you have multiple arrays across the same disks.  You will need to backup the contents of Data2, delete it, Reconfigure to add the disk, recreate Data2 and its partitions, then restore (or just backup both, delete both, create one 4TB RAID 5 across the disks, then restore - that way you can add another disk when/if needed at some point).

There are two RAID arrays set up.  A Raid 1 and a Raid 5.  The Raid 5 consists of three 2TB drives.  On the Raid 5 Array I have created two Virtual disks using OpenManage which Windows recognizes as Disks.  I am running Server 2008 R2 Std.

9.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 09:00

On the Raid 5 Array I have created two Virtual disks

This is why you cannot reconfigure to add more drives (like theflash1932 mentioned).

You will have to at least delete the last virtual disk, then reconfigure and then recreate the virtual disk (larger) and restore your data. If you can (have the space and time), I'd just delete the first virtual disk on the raid 5 too, and then create a new raid 5 with the extra disk(s) and create it as a single virtual disk so you don't run into this again in the future. Then you can restore your data onto it.

1 Message

October 18th, 2012 11:00

So if your server is just a RAID 5 then you can just install the drive without having to rebuild the server?  Looking for the OMSA for windows 08R2

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 18th, 2012 11:00

Yes, as long as you have a single RAID array across your disks, you can add the new disk, then Reconfigure to add an additional disk.

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-t410

No Events found!