Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2011 02:00

Additional Storage on Dell PE1800

Hi,

I've inherited a pre-configured Dell PE 1800 server and I need to add an addtional drive for storage.  The server has a PERC 4/SC raid controller with 3 drives already set up in as RAID 5.

All I want to do is add another drive to the controller and make it available for additional storage, I don't want to add it to the existing RAID 5 config.

From what I've read I should just be able to power the server off, plug the drive in press CTRL M(?) during boot and configure a new RAID 0 with the new disk but wanted to check to see if it really was this simple, or if there are other things to consider, before proceeding.

Thanks for your help!

Kipsta

February 22nd, 2011 07:00

Hello,

The process you listed is correct. After adding the additional drive and creating a RAID 0 the new drive will be presented to the operating system as unallocated space. After you boot into the OS you will just need to partition the new space. The link below is a video walk through for how to create a RAID 0 using the PERC 4 BIOS utility (CTL+M).

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/entvideos/raid%200%20perc%204%20-%20v2

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 08:00

Keep in mind ... if you have an 1800 with a backplane (hot-swappable drives, accessible from the front of the machine), then do not power off the machine to put in the new drive - it should be inserted "hot".  If it is cabled (not accessible from front of the machine), then you don't have any other choice but to power down to hook it up.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the quick response and a video walk through to boot, what more could I ask for :-)

Great work and thanks again.

Kipsta

No Events found!