Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2010 07:00

Advice on T310 with fast RAID

Any advice on the following option?

I'm thinking about a T310  (16GB RAM) for a development system .. will run Linux, Windows Server 2008, vmWare  ..(probably RAID 10  , possibly 5)

avoiding H200 due to reports of slow performance, so chosing H700

PERC H700 Adapter, Internal RAID Controller 512MB Cache for Hot Plug Hard Drive Configuration [Included in Price] <-- current choice

--- with---- 

-----RAID 5 - Add-in PERC6i/H700 (SAS/SATA Cntrlr), 3-4 Hot Plug Hard Drives add $0.00

---- RAID 10 - Add-in PERC6i/H200/H700 (SAS/SATA Cntrlr), 4 Hot Plug Hard Drives [Included in Price]

Do I need to consider the upgrade to the more costly PERC H700 versions?my choices are:

++++ PERC H700 NVD Adapter, Internal RAID Controller NVDIMM 512MB Cache Hot Plug Hard Drive Configuration [add $200.00]

++++ PERC H700 NVD Adapter, Internal RAID Controller NVDIMM 1GB Cache Hot Plug Hard Drive Configuration [add $300.00]

do these give significant performance improvement?

Can I turn off all RAID ? (if I wanted to?)

Anyone know if this would work with OpenFiler ?  (the T310 with H200 does not work)

I'm a software developer, this is for my home/consulting/development system

thanks

9.3K Posts

December 14th, 2010 12:00

The NVDIMM means that the controller doesn't have a battery, but instead uses Non-Volatile memory. Batteries are fine, but when they fail, you lose write cache, and they can only keep your data in the raid controller's memory for about 72 hours. With NV it's indefinite.

You cannot run w/o raid; you'd have to make at least a single disk raid 0 (and this disk will probably not be usable by any other controller (including onboard SATA).

If OpenFiler doesn't support the H200 (yet), odds are that it won't support the H700 either as they came out at about the same time. However, you may be able to install the LSI equivalent driver to get it working.

24 Posts

December 14th, 2010 15:00

thanks, great info. what I was looking for..  OpenFiler 3.0 will be released soon (first release in years)... so I hope the H200, H700 will be supported.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 15th, 2010 06:00

To add...

If you want performance consider the following.....

SAS is the best choice, not only for speed (and reliability) but also SATA drives have a long rebuild time if a drive fails and is replaced; with SAS drives in a raid 10, rebuild would be in the minutes vs hours for SATA, the larger the drives the longer it takes, a large SATA array can takes days.

Raid 10 should be the higher performer, as raid 5 has write delays due to parity creation. If your primarily concerned with read speed raid 5 is a good choice, raid 10 has very good read and write speeds, better desktop response then raid 5.

If you have the resources, which ever raid you choose, get a hotspare drive.

For Windows users, If you really want killer speed, set one of these SSD drives up as your boot drive.....

http://www.fastestssd.com/new-ssds/ocz-launches-new-revodrive-x2-pci-express-ssd/

2.5K Posts

December 24th, 2010 20:00

Just to muddy the water a little further I am running a T410 with a PERC 6/i Controller (raid 5 on 3 Seagate 2 terabyte SAS drives (7200 rpm). My boot drive is a single 300 gigabyte SAS drive (15,000 rpm)  on a SAS 6/iR controller

No Events found!