Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2012 13:00

Any suggestion on a server which can backup ~ 4TB storage per day?

Hi,

I am looking for a server which can backup about one hundred of user's desktops every 24 hours. Total data is about 4 TB as of today.  In the past, we spread this to multiple individual workstation towers. I am looking for a way to consolidate this to one/two rack servers. Is it feasible? Does anybody have a good suggestion?

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

May 14th, 2012 14:00

ITSADELL,

Have you considered a tape drive, as it is more stable since the data is written to a physical device, instead of one of the servers?

10 Posts

May 14th, 2012 15:00

We have tape backup devices.. I would expect tape be even slower for this purpose, right? I need to backup 4 TB per day... I wouldn't think tape can achieve that. ...

9.3K Posts

May 14th, 2012 16:00

A modern tape drive (LTO-5) can push about 140 MByte/s (which is about 500GB/hr). This should be able to do your backups overnight for you. You can even get a tape library with 2 or more of these drives and run multiple jobs simultaneously.

The question then becomes; can your network sustain the data transfer (don't need super high end switches, but backups at these speeds can definitely push a lower end switch to it's limits (and then the network becomes the bottleneck).

Some info on LTO (including a table showing the different LTO generations and their storage space and speeds: en.wikipedia.org/.../Linear_Tape-Open.

4 Posts

January 24th, 2013 07:00

Dell R720xd to T620 have chassis options for a large number of drives. You should be able to easily back up that much data with Microsoft Data Protection Manager

No Events found!