Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MB

8 Posts

June 29th, 2020 09:00

Are Samsung 960GB PM1634 2.5 inch SAS Enterprise SSD's compatible with PE R740?

Our PE R740 shipped with 1x 240GB SATA SSD and I'm looking to replace that out with more storage before putting the server into production.

I've got quotes from Dell and a third party for some 15K SAS HDD's and SATA Mixed Use SSD's, but they all seem very expensive for that they are.

Something like a Samsung 960GB PM1634 2.5 inch SAS Enterprise SSD (MZILT960HAHQ-00007) seems to offer much better value for money, but although it appears to be compatible (once I've added a drive tray), I can't see any reports of others that have used these drives in any generation or model of Dell PowerEdge server.

Can anyone share their experience, and/or recommend a compatible SSD drive?

Our backplane is the 8x 2.5" SAS/SATA and controller is PERC H730P 2GB.

Thanks,

Matty Brown.

2.9K Posts

June 29th, 2020 13:00

Heya Matty,

Part number F0VFY corresponds to a 1.9TB PM1643 drive. So, while I can't definitively state that the non-Dell branded version would work, this is definitely a positive indicator.  I wish I could give you a more definitive answer about the non-Dell version, but the most I can say is that I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. 

Hopefully this helps, but let me know if there's anything more I can do for you.

No Events found!