Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2010 11:00

Broken Drive in a RAID setup

About 6 years ago we purchased a poweredge 2800, with 2 73.4gb drives configured to shadow each other.

One drive is now showing signs of distress, so I've bought a new 73.4gb drive, (same model etc) which I assume I can bolt on the caddy from the old drive when it arrives.

What do I do then?

Any suggestions would be most welcome (sbs 2003, service pack 1)

Thanks

Bill Barker

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

When you say "distress", what exactly do you mean?  Is is showing Pred Fail, or is it showing FAILED?  If it is showing Pred Fail, then you should Offline or Prepare To Remove it from Server Administrator (OMSA).  If it is showing Failed, then you can simply remove the old one, insert the new one, and the rebuild should start within 60 seconds automatically - you can confirm this and watch its progress from OMSA.  If it does not start automatically, and the drive is still showing as Failed, you can choose Rebuild from the drop-down menu for that drive.  If it is showing Ready, then you can set it as a Hot Spare in the drop-down menu for that drive (or assign Hot Spare in Virtual Disk drop-down).

Server Administrator is not the same as Server Management.  Server Management is a Windows utility for interacting with Windows management tasks, OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) is a Dell utility designed specifically to interface and interact with Dell server hardware, including the RAID controller.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM_6.2.0_Man_Node_A00.exe

Download and run to extract files, then run C:\Openmanage\windows\setup.exe.  Choose Custom and make sure that Storage Management (and all sub-features) is installed.  Then you can drill down to Storage>PERC 4e/Di where the Virtual Disks and Physical Disks sections are.

8 Posts

ps I saw the post "1950 Replacing drives in a predictive fail state" which looks helpful, however that refers to "Use the storage management in server administrator, drill down to the physical disks", however I can't be looking in the correct place as I can find no reference to the physical disks (server management>home>advanced management>computer management>Storage)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You may run into problems with installing OMSA on SP1.  If you do, you may need to drop down to a much older version - maybe 5.1 - or upgrade to SP2.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM_5.1_ManNode_WIN_A00.exe

8 Posts

August 16th, 2010 12:00

I loaded up OMSA, and drilled down to the drive which certainly looked like it's failed totally :

Physical Disks included in Virtual Disk 0

Physical Disks

Status;Name;State;Failure Predicted;Type;Capacity;Used RAID Disk Space;Available RAID Disk Space;Hot Spare;Vendor ID;Product ID;Revision;Serial No.;Negotiated Speed;Capable Speed
Ok;Physical Disk 0:0;Online;No;SCSI;68.24GB;68.24GB;0.00GB;No;SEAGATE ;ST373453LC      ;DX10;3HW2SVV1;320;320
Critical;Physical Disk 0:1;Failed;No;SCSI;68.24GB;68.24GB;0.00GB;No;SEAGATE ;ST373453LC      ;DX10;3HW2SVVT;320;320
Hopefully the new one will be arriving tomorrow so I'll just slot it in and stand back.

Thanks for all the help

Bill
No Events found!