Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2020 17:00

Can R820 (8 drive) support SSD, especially PCIe SSD?

Hi,

Can R820 (8 drive) support SSD, especially PCIe SSD? Can we modify/add something such that it can support?

Or may I know would we add PCIe SSD on PCIe slot of R820? Thank you.

• 

3K Posts

April 8th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

The PCIe SSD card would be able to be install on the server PCIe. But most of the users use it as OS partition instead of data storing. 

I would strongly contact your Dell sales manager to confirm the hardware fully compatible and suitable for your situational nature of intention.

• 

3K Posts

April 6th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

The R820 is able to support PCIe SSD 2.5" drive. Reference: page 10.

If you're referring to PCIe slot on the main board, yes it able to support PCIe SSD card. Reference: page 64

https://dell.to/3aPdRT7

Example of PCIe SSD card would be Micron MTFDGAR1T4MAX-1AG1ZABDA

4 Posts

April 7th, 2020 23:00

Hi Joey,

Many thanks for your help! 
We will check for PCIe SSD that you suggested.

By the way, I am a bit confused as it looks like our system (8 drive system) cannot use SSD for drives from technical spec.
May I know is below information outdated?

Eight–hard-drive systems Up to eight 2.5 inch, internal, hot-swappable SAS, SATA or Nearline SAS hard drives in hard-drive slots 0 through 7.

https://qrl.dell.com/Files/en-us/Html/Manuals/R820/TechnicalSpecifications=GUID-F39CA42E-2CF1-4521-A6E8-476A7063B31F=1=en-us=.html

Many thanks!

• 

3K Posts

April 8th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

Apologies for my mistake, I assumed that you were only using 8 drives on a 16drives configuration. 

You are correct, if you're using a 8 drive configuration. The backplane would not be able to support. You would need an upgrade of another backplane with another RAID controller. 

4 Posts

April 8th, 2020 02:00

Hi Joey,

Many thanks for your help.

So may I confirm even we are using 8 drive configuration, we can still use PCIe SSD card (say Micron SSD per suggested) on PCIe slot of our database server, without any additional hardware upgrade?

We would like to increase the speed of data access for report generation.

Many thanks.

No Events found!