Buurgaard
1 Copper

Change to larger hard drives in Raid 1

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a PowerEdge R710 with 4 x 250 Gb, SATA, 7.200 RPM Hotswap drives. OS is Windows SBS 2011. The drives run in Raid 1. One drive with the OS and one drive with data, and the other two drives are then the mirror drives.

I want to change the drives to 4 x 600 Gb SAS, 15.000 RPM drives.

My plan is to start with the data disk. Replace one drive with a new one, then wait for the rebuild of the mirror and then exchange the other drive and wait for the mirror to rebuild again. Then go into Disk Management in Windows Server and enlarge the disk to full capacity.

But is this procedure possible?

And if not - how else can I change the hard drives to bigger ones?

Kind Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: Change to larger hard drives in Raid 1

Jump to solution

Depends on the backup software and type. If your software is capable of "bare metal" recovery, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you just do a partition copy, then no, it won't boot.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Buurgaard,

This will depend on the controller, but these are the options.

Here is the Supported way of getting the extra space for your system.

1) Get a backup of your data

2) Delete array

3) Recreate array with larger drives

4) Reinstall OS.

5) Restore data from backup

Now there is also an UNSUPPORTED way that you can do this as well;

1) Get a backup of your data.

2) Rebuild each large drive to array.

3) After all rebuilt then Delete array.

4) After the array has been deleted then do a Retag on the array (reconfigure array as it was before)

5) Do NOT init the virtual disk

6)Exit controller and verify OS is accessible. 

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

This ALL depends on which RAID controller you have, and since you didn't say which controller you have, it's hard to give you a specific answer.

If you have a SAS 6/iR or H200, this is not possible. Backup and restore to larger array is your only option.

If you have a PERC 6/i, you can replace them one at a time, BUT the array will still be the same size with no way to expand it to fill the space, so the ONLY thing you will be able to do is create a second array across the disks using the newly available space.

If you have an H700 AND it is up to date, you can do this and either create a second array across the disks OR expand the array to fill the disks.

In either case, backup/restore is a better option, as your data is not exposed as during rebuilds, although your disks are not very big, so the risk is reduced somewhat.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Now there is also an UNSUPPORTED way that you can do this as well;

1) Get a backup of your data.

2) Rebuild each large drive to array.

3) After all rebuilt then Delete array.

4) After the array has been deleted then do a Retag on the array (reconfigure array as it was before)

5) Do NOT init the virtual disk

6)Exit controller and verify OS is accessible. 

Don't do this. This is not only "unsupported", but it is dangerous and will damage the underlying RAID structures, causing failures in the RAID array, either immediately or far down the road.

0 Kudos
Buurgaard
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My RAID controller is a PERC H200 INTEGRATED RAID CONTROLLER.

So, I guess I will have to do a backup/restore.

But if I a simple backup of the disk with the OS, I think that a retore will not automatically make the new drive a sytem/boot drive.

Wouldn't I have to use some kind of clone software or should I back it up as an iso file?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Depends on the backup software and type. If your software is capable of "bare metal" recovery, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you just do a partition copy, then no, it won't boot.

0 Kudos
dogmediapl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problems.

Could You tell me, that Your way to solve this problem was fine ?

Please, send me back your opinion.

0 Kudos