Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2013 15:00

Changing RAID configuration running ESXi

Hi,

Im adding an additional harddrive to my T620 however the current RAID config covers 4 drives.  The server is running ESXi 4.1.

Does anyone have any pointers on adding an additional drive without using the Dell RAID util.

Thanks
Tom 

• 

8.4K Posts

April 16th, 2013 16:00

Tom,

Do you happen to use Open Manage to manage the server?

If not let me know and I will send you an email on how to use OMSA on ESXi. You will need that to expand the existing raid 5.

Let me know.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 16th, 2013 17:00

You could also boot to an OMSA Live CD to initiate the Reconfigure, but having OMSA installed would be ideal.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your reply.  I don't, so if you can mail me that would be great.

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

April 18th, 2013 06:00

I sent you the email walkthrough. Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2013 09:00

How about you post a walkthrough here for the benefit of those who see this page later ;)

• 

8.4K Posts

April 18th, 2013 10:00

Installing OpenManage Server Administrator on ESXi 4.1

Installing Dell OEM ESXi 4.1

Overall instructions:

1. Install Offline VIB Bundle
  2. Enable CIM OEM Providers option
  3. Install OpenManage (OMSA) Web Services on a Windows machine.

Installing Offline VIB Bundle

1. Check to make sure ESXi is  4.1. If it is not, update it to the most current.
  2. Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.
  3. Type in the IP of the ESXi serverin a Internet Explorer window. That should bring up the below screen:
    2. Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.
    3. Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 4.1

http://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip

1. 6.       Install the offline VIB bundle
    1. Using vSphere CLI:

i.      Copy the OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip file to a directory on your system.

ii.      If you are using Microsoft Windows, navigate to the folder where you have installed the vSphere CLI utilities to execute the command mentioned in step 4.

If you are using Linux, the command is installed when you install the vSphere CLI RPM.

iii.      Shut down all guest operating systems on the ESXi 4.1 host and put it in maintenance mode.

iv.      Execute the following command:

1. Vihostupdate.pl --server -i -b
    1. Example: vihostupdate.pl –server 10.0.0.1 –I –b C:\OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip

v.     

vi.      Enter the root username and password when prompted.

vii.      The command output displays a successful or a failed update.

viii   Restart the ESXi 4.1 host system.

When you run the command, the following components are installed on your system:

1. Server Administrator Instrumentation Service
  2. Remote Enablement
  3. Server Administrator Storage Management
  4. Remote Access Controller

1. b.   Using vSphere with Putty

i.      Download the VIB package and transfer it to the host with scp or datastore browser.  

ii. Find the bundle via putty and use cd to change directory there. (Path from putty to datastore via vmfs/volumes/datastore#) then folder it is saved to.

iii. Execute the following command after drilling to folder containing file:

esxupdate update –bundle ./OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX4LI_A01.zip 

iv. Restart the host - The CIMoemProviderEnabled variable will not exist until the host is restarted.                              

Enabling CIM OEM Providers

1. Enable the OEM provider:

With CLI:   esxcfg-advcfg –set 1 /UserVars/CIMoemProviderEnabled

With vSphere:

1. Choose the Configuration tab on the host through vSphere.
  2. Click Advanced Settings under the Software section
  3. In the dialog that appears click “UserVars” on the left
  4. Change the value of CIMOEMProvidersEnabled to 1
  5. Click OK

2. Restart the Management Agents from the ESXi console, or restart the ESXi server. This can be done in the VIC. Right click the Host and select Restart.

Installing OpenManage Managed Node ver. 6.5 on a Windows Machine

1. Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

2. ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

3. On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

4. When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

5. Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

6. On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

7. Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

For more information on OpenManage, such as configuring/viewing RAID setup, view the below information.

Enterprise Tutorial Videos

Common Issues

Problem:
When attempting to use vihostupdate to install the OMSA VIBs you get the following error:
"Unable to create, write or read a file as expected.I/O Error (28) on file : [Errno 28] No space left on device"

Solution:
Configure a scratch directory on a VMFS volume as detail here:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1012640&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1

Problem:
When attempting to use vihostupdate to install the OMSA VIBs you get the following error:
unpacking
metadata.zip.sig does not exist
signature mismatch : metadata.zip
Unable to unpack update package.

Solution:
You are using an older version of the rCLI. Make sure you download and install the vSphere version of the CLI.

Problem:
When attempting to logon via the OpenManage Web server you get the following error:
LOGIN FAILED....INTERNAL ERROR

Possible Solutions (This can be caused by a number of things)
1. Make sure you’re using the OpenManage Webserver from the OMSA 6.5 Managed Node install.

2. Make sure CIMOEMProvidersEnabled is set to 1 and the Management Agents are restarted afterwards.

3. Make sure root has a password

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2013 10:00

No Events found!