Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 11:00

Clear Foreign Configuation

This is a repost since Dell inexplicable removed my post due to some unknown TOS violation that is sure to be the result of their censorship that is more stringent than what the FCC allows on TV.  On to the matter at hand:

I have a 2950 that started with two drives, and I just put four more in that were used in another system.  The controller detects their foreign config and won't let me use them.  I went into the controller bios and I can see them on the Foreign tab, but there is no option to clear their config.  I tried hitting F2, enter, and randomly smashing the keyboard on every possible element of that screen.  How do you clear the foreign configs from this screen?

Someone had suggested updating my firmware before my thread was removed.  I downloaded the latest update from the dell site, but it did not come with any installation instructions.  Are you supposed to put it on a boot disk?  That would be rather silly since 2950s don't have floppy disk drives.

In summary, how do you clear foreign configs from the controller bios and if a firmware update is required how do you install it?

36 Posts

April 7th, 2009 14:00

On the VD Management screen, You should be able to highlight the controller, and press F2.  There should be options for Foreign configuration, with the choices of "Import" and "Clear", from what you're saying, "Clear" is the correct choice.

If you're still having issues, a FW update should be in order.  For the easiest method, just download the update package for your OS (if you're running Windows or Linux), and use that.  It doesn't require any bootable media, and is simple to use.  See link below for the latest for the PERC6/i integrated.  Grab the update package for your OS.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=13514&libid=46&releaseid=R201071&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_2950&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

April 8th, 2009 18:00

"That would be rather silly since 2950s don't have floppy disk drives." USB floppy drives are a life saver. I have 3 just for this reason.

No Events found!