Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 14:00

Compatible Drives for Perc 4/SC RAID1

I am about to inherit the support role for an ageing PowerEdge server running Server 2003 Standard, and equipped with a Perc 4/SC controller with two Seagate 146GB drives configured as RAID-1. One of the drives apparently failed some time ago, and the client has attempted unsuccessfully to source a replacement drive to repair the array.

Due to other factors it is not feasible to replace the server with a MS Server 2012 build at this stage (though that will be the goal once the current server is stabilised). I propose in the first instance to replace both drives with new 300GB drives, and migrate all data using image backup/restore. Can anyone tell me what drives are compatible with the Perc 4/SC? Specifically, does the Perc 4/SC support SCSI and/or SAS drives (with or without suitable cable adapters, if necessary)? What is the maximum per-drive capacity?

• 

8.5K Posts

Hi, the PERC4 is a SCSI controller. The largest validated drives are 300GB. Depending on which server model it will support up to 6 drives as it is a single channel controller.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

What model server is this?  Pretty much everything depends on which one we are talking about and how it is configured (backplane or cabled drives).

Drives aren't hard to find ... I'm guessing they simply didn't know what to look for:

www.serversupply.com/.../pid_find.asp

www.yobitech.com/ProductDetails.asp

www.harddrivesdirect.com/product_info.php

300GB:

store.flagshiptech.com/dell-poweredge-2800-300gb-15k-u320-scsi-hard-drives

www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx

You can replace the failed drive with a 300GB drive as well ... a full backup/restore is only necessary if you want to use all the 300GB of space in a single "disk" or unit of space.

The PERC 4 supports ONLY SCSI drives (not SAS or SATA), 300GB max.

6 Posts

August 15th, 2013 16:00

Thanks guys, I appreciate your answers. We are in the UK, so I will seek out local suppliers. I'll check out the server model, and will then go for two 300GB drives - their current partitioning is a 12GB system partition (with all of 900MB free) and a 124GB data partition (with a declining 7.5GB free). I can extend the partition sizes appropriately during the image restore.

No Events found!