Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2013 02:00

Configuring RAID on R610

Hi,

I have a problem which I have not idea how to deal with.

We have Poweredge r610 that was bought with one SATA hard drive. This hard drive wasn't configured as virtual disk. 

Later, an additional SATA disk was added, and not configured as virtual disk as well.

I bought 4 SAS disks in order to configure them into RAID 5 and move the whole data from the SATA disks. I have connected to the OpenManage in order to configure the RAID5, and I can't do it , because it force me to configure only RAID 0\RAID1\RAID 10. I guess it's because of the 2 SATA drives. By the way, all the disks are in state "Ready". 

Is there anyway I can configure the SAS disks to RAID 5 without configuring the SATA drives? I am really afraid the data will be lost.

Thanks! 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 1st, 2013 07:00

The data will be lost if you configure the SATA disks.

I'm assuming (RAID 0/1/10, non-RAID capable) that you have a PERC H200 controller ... RAID 5 is NOT supported on the H200.

8 Posts

July 1st, 2013 08:00

By the way, if we buy a new controller, will it be a problem to switch the raid controllers with the existing disks?

8 Posts

Unfortunately, you are right. I can't believe my company bought this RAID array(and really couldn't believe I'll find Poweredge R610 with raid array which doesn't support RAID 5).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

While RAID 5 still has a place, it is a bit of a "dated" RAID solution - being low in performance and reliability compared to other RAID levels.  The H200 is a low-end RAID solution, so it will not have all the options of better controllers, including parity-based RAID.

8 Posts

July 1st, 2013 09:00

Great, thanks a lot:)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 1st, 2013 09:00

You can use the same disks ... virtual disks (arrays) created on the H200 CAN even be migrated to an H700 RAID controller.  HOWEVER, because the H700 does NOT support non-RAID, you will have to do a backup/restore (or rebuild from scratch) for the OS on the non-RAID drives.  There is no direct upgrade/replacement path to simply plug in.

No Events found!