Highlighted
johnb352
1 Nickel

Creating new mirror

I added the drive and set the SCSI ID.  It shows up in Array Manager.  I go to ServerName>Arrays>PERC Subsystem 1>PERC3 Controller>Channel 0, and I can see the drives.  There are 2 drives for an existing mirror set.  Also, the drive that wasn't mirrored, and the new drive that will be used to mirror that drive, for a total of 4 drives.  The existing non-mirrored drive is 69 gb.  The new drive is 137 gb.

How do I mirror this?  I right-click on the 69gb drive, and there is no option to "Add Mirror".  What am I missing?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
M_6
1 Nickel

Re: Creating new mirror

johnb352,

In array manager, you will be creating a new array group with Raid 1 with those new disks, it will not mention mirroring.

You will also lose the extra space on the new drive as it will only mirror the 69Gb.

M@l

0 Kudos
johnb352
1 Nickel

For the life of me I don't see where I'd do that.

Don't see it when I right-click on a drive.  When I run the Quick Access Window the closest thing I see that might work is Create Virtual Disk.  And the only gives me the option for RAID-0.

Yup, I'm aware that I'd lose that space beyond 69Gb.

Where do I create the new array group?

0 Kudos
M_6
1 Nickel

johnb352,

Do you see the two array disks in array manager when you go to create the new virtual disk?

Are you using the Create Virtual Disk Wizard icon ?

M@l

0 Kudos
johnb352
1 Nickel

First, thank you for helping with this.

Yes, I used the Create Virtual Disk Wizard icon.

This is the first screen that I get.  The disk on the right is the new drive.  But, the drop-down window only contains RAID-0

0 Kudos
M_6
1 Nickel

johnb352,

Array manager does not see the 2 disks that you need to setup the raid 1.

Check that the other spare disk is not setup as a hot spare.

You chould see two disks available 0:3 which is your new one and the existing 69Gb which I am assuming is 0:2.

Until you see two disks available in array manager, you will only have Raid 0 as an option.

M@l

0 Kudos
johnb352
1 Nickel

It sees it.  And I don't see how it could be a hot spare.  Here's a screen shot.

0 and 1 are mirrored drives for the system partition.

15 is the existing 69 gb drive, that's used for data.  And of course 3 is the new drive.

Is it possible that this PERC controller won't do 2 RAID-1 arrays?

0 Kudos
M_6
1 Nickel

ok, thats vital information.

You are reconstructing your existing Raid 0 on disk 0:15 into a Raid 1 with the new disk.

You should be able to "Add Member" to the Raid 0 disk array, which you would then add 0:3

M@l

0 Kudos
johnb352
1 Nickel

Add Member!!  That was it.

I don't understand the Raid 0 part.  That's striping.  I thought striping involved more than one drive.  Drives 0:0 and 0:1 were already in a RAID-1.  Which only left 0:15.  How could 0:15 be striped with another drive?  There was no other drive.  But you're right, it shows exactly that in the Event log:

PERC 3/SC Controller 0, Virtual Disk (Virtual Disk 1) reconfiguration from RAID-0, 68.37GB, 64KB stripe size to RAID-1, 68.37GB, 64KB stripe size started.

Thanks for your help!   I'm glad that's behind me  ;-)

0 Kudos