Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2016 03:00

DELL POWEREDGE T320 - PERC H310 - RAID 1 + HOTSPARE

Hi guys!
I'm new into the world of servers and dell.

So we have a dell t320 with perc h310 having 2 physical disk configured to raid 1. Now I want to have a hot spare. How will i configure it? and is it okay if my hotspare disk has has a higher specs than what my 2 hdds have? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 10th, 2016 09:00

Hello.

Insert the hard disk of the same connection type either SAS or SATA. The disk can be of the same specification in terms of capacity and speed or higher. The disk will be in a ready state. Re-boot and access the RAID configuration utility using Ctrl+R. Highlight the PD Mgt using Ctrl+N, select the given disk and press F2 to view operations, highlight Make Global HS.  Save and exit. See diagrammatic illustration below:

A similar operation may also be done in OpenManage Adminstrator (OMSA) if installed by choosing Assign as Hot Spare under the available Tasks of Physical Disks

7 Posts

February 11th, 2016 04:00

Got it. THanks!

Once the hot spare is configured, will the system start mirroring the contents of those on raid 1? or not?

And correct me if this is wrong, the hot spare will kick in once the system detected a drive failure in one of the disks in the RAID, right? or does it still need some kind of user intervention to kick in the hot spare?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2016 07:00

No, the hot-spare will automatically start rebuilding as soon as a disk fails. No data will be synced to the hot-spare until a disk failure - it will be on standby only.

No Events found!