Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2016 05:00

DELL PowerEdge 2950 PERC 5/i

Dear Members,

I have Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server Which i need to install Windows 2003 Standard Edition and keep it as File Server for my network.

So i bought 2TB SATA WD HDD, I would like to create RAID 1.

As a try i connected two 145GB SAS and one 2TB SATA in the bay and switch ON to create RAID1. 

Please guide me how to create RAID 1 using PERC 5/i configuration utility?

My PERC version 5/i Integrated 5.0.2.0003.

Thanks 

Tony

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

You can't mix SAS and SATA in a RAID array.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 14th, 2016 06:00

Yes, you could add another 2TB SATA disk and do RAID 1.

Remember that 2 x 2TB disks in a RAID 1 will only give you 2TB of usable disk space in your OS.

The maximum storage capacity for the server is limited only by how many disks you can put in (options for the 2950 were 4, 6, or 8-disk configurations) and 2TB per disk. Disks just must be the same type to group together in a RAID array.

RAID 1 requires exactly two disks. You can use three disks in a RAID array, but that is no longer RAID 1 - it would be a RAID 5.

You can use Server 2003, but I wouldn't. It reached end of life over a year ago. Download the evaluation for Server 2012 R2 - the eval is good for 180 days.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2016 00:00

Thank you flash,

I would like to know can i put one more 2 tb SATA to form RAID 1?

That is total 4TB SATA and create RAID1.

Is that Possible?

And What is the maximum storage capacity, incase if this works i can add 2moreTB and total 6TB and use RAID 1?

Please Help me. 

I can utilize that server with Windows 2003 standard edition and use it as file server.

If all drives are SATA, will RAID 1 creation is possible?

Thanks in advance. 

Tony

3 Posts

July 14th, 2016 08:00

Thanks a lot flash for your reply. 

I will try adding 2tb two SATA hdd in that and keep 2SAS 145GB for operating system as RAID 1.

So i will do the following to enable this server as filer server with 2003. I have 6 disk options)

The reason why iam using 2003 is, i just need to utilize the license, it will be a file server in my environment.

2* 2TB SATA  for DATA inFile server RAID 1 ( I will create Virtual Disk )

2* 145GB SAS for OS RAID 1 (I will create separate Disk Group and keep as another Virtual Disk)

I have a one more doubt, after creating this virtual disk, i have done initialization for SAS hdd which went without any problem, then i did initialization for SATA, it says initialization failed. 

Should i need to initialize two disk groups which i have created? if initialization fails what i have to do?

When i try to install 2003, setup did not find any harddisk . What could be the problem?

Is there anything i am missing?

I have created RAID 1, Iam using PERC 5i Integrated BIOS 5.0.2-0003

Please guide me.

Thanks in advance. 

Tony

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 14th, 2016 10:00

The reason why iam using 2003 is, i just need to utilize the license, it will be a file server in my environment.

Still, it should not be used.

When i try to install 2003, setup did not find any harddisk . What could be the problem?

Is there anything i am missing?

Yes, drivers. Server 2003 doesn't know how to talk to the RAID controller. You MUST first create and initialize a RAID array, then you must load drivers during Setup. You can either load them via floppy disk or use nliteos.com to integrate the drivers.

No Events found!